General Category > Archaeology

Unraveling the Mystery of the Carnac Stones: An Ancient Puzzle of Epic Proportions

<< < (4/4)

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: libertybele on July 23, 2023, 12:57:15 am ---Johnny was one of a kind and the Carnac skits were great!

--- End quote ---

That generation was one of a kind.

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: Free Vulcan on July 22, 2023, 11:36:08 pm ---Probably the most recent example of that I've seen is the use of LIDAR to see thru the jungles in Central and South America. Not only were know civilizations much bigger than thought, there were many more of them. All those pet theories out the window.

You can go on and on with examples after examples that blow up current archeology into rubble. Gobekli Tepe is my favorite - they can't deny it, so they just don't deal with it, because the ramifications of moving civilization back a few thousand years is pretty much wipe the slate clean and start over.

--- End quote ---
It's like pre-Clovis in the Americas, long denied because there wasn't anything deeper, not found because there was nothing older than Clovis, so why dig more? Circular reasoning has plagued the sciences for a long time.  I was lucky enough to work on a project where we bumped the earliest fired pottery back about 500 years in Virginia, so that was fun. (Charcoal samples, in association with fired sherds and even one unfired fragment.)

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: bigheadfred on July 23, 2023, 12:41:25 am ---While I like Gobekli Tepe for its sheer age my favorite is Baalbek  and the Trilithon along with the other three left at the quarry site. They, the quackademics, claim they were the work of the Romans but I have serious doubts.

Another little nugget I like is the precision of the stone vases found at Saqqara.

I'll add that there seems to be a degradation in technology in ancient Egypt instead of  the other way around.

--- End quote ---
Look at art in Russia from 1840 to 1940, and the entire flavor changed. Societies suffer from setbacks and periods of decay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version