Author Topic: President Biden Is Failing to Secure Our Critical Supply Chains  (Read 166 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
July 19, 2023  T
President Biden Is Failing to Secure Our Critical Supply Chains
The White House forgets our greatest economic vulnerability: our supply chains’ deep dependence on a regime that wants to weaken and ultimately overtake the United States.

by Marco Rubio

Last year, with heavy earthmoving equipment behind him, President Joe Biden proclaimed, “The future of the chip industry is going to be made in America.” His aspirational rhetoric was equal parts political opportunism and wishful thinking, fueled by the passage of the CHIPS and Science Act, which authorized $53 billion in incentives for U.S. semiconductor manufacturing.

Perhaps there was reason for optimism. The president delivered his speech as Intel Corp. broke ground in rural New Albany, Ohio for a $20 billion chip fabrication plant. The construction alone would create 7,000 jobs, while the new “fabs” would employ 3,000 workers, each earning an average of $135,000 per year. But that happy day was not the end of the story; it was just the beginning.

Ten months later, just before Independence Day, the Chinese Communist Party struck back against U.S. industrial policy by announcing new export controls on gallium and germanium, set to take effect on August 1. These minerals are critical components in a host of advanced technologies, including semiconductors. Moreover, China corners the market on them. Business insiders don’t hesitate to say that Beijing’s export controls “will have an immediate ripple effect on the semiconductor industry.”

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/president-biden-failing-secure-our-critical-supply-chains-206650
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: President Biden Is Failing to Secure Our Critical Supply Chains
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 10:59:36 pm »
The only struggling Biden does is remembering to tell his handlers he needs a diaper change.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!