Author Topic: Researchers condemn rise of ‘fascist ideologues’ after students send mocking responses to LGBTQ surv  (Read 805 times)

Offline Kamaji

Researchers condemn rise of ‘fascist ideologues’ after students send mocking responses to LGBTQ survey

By Alexander Hall, Fox News
July 21, 2023

Academic researchers condemned students’ irreverent and offensive responses to an LGBTQ survey, claiming the pushback indicates “fascist ideologues” are “living ‘inside the house’ of engineering and computer science.”

In an article for the Bulletin of Applied Transgender Studies, academics from Oregon State University wrote about their shock at receiving sarcasm and mockery in response to their research into undergraduate LGBTQ students studying in STEM fields.

The team claimed 50 of 349 responses to their questionnaire on the topic contained “slurs, hate speech, or direct targeting of the research team.”

Labeling them “malicious respondents,” they adapted their project to examine how the joke responses “relate to engineering culture by framing them within larger social contexts — namely, the rise of online fascism.”

The result was the paper titled, “Attack Helicopters and White Supremacy: Interpreting Malicious Responses to an Online Questionnaire about Transgender Undergraduate Engineering and Computer Science Student Experiences.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/21/researchers-condemn-rise-of-fascist-ideologues-after-students-send-mocking-responses-to-lgbtq-survey/

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

Sorry, but the only fascist ideologues here are these researchers and their alphabet-mafia fellow-travelers.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I find it hilarious that these students responded the way they did.  Kinda give me hope young people (In the Stem arena anyway) see that the Alphabet people are in need of mockery.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

I find it hilarious that these students responded the way they did.  Kinda give me hope young people (In the Stem arena anyway) see that the Alphabet people are in need of mockery.

:thumbsup:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

Response ... More Tolerance Education ...

« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 08:46:05 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline PeteS in CA

... academics from Oregon State University wrote about their shock at receiving sarcasm and mockery in response to their research into undergraduate LGBTQ students studying in STEM fields.

The team claimed 50 of 349 responses to their questionnaire on the topic contained “slurs, hate speech, or direct targeting of the research team.”

Whipping out my Prog-Speak Interpretation Slide Rule:

"sarcasm and mockery" and "slurs" = some interviewees identified their gender as "AH-64 attack helicopter";

"hate speech, or direct targeting" = some interviewees told 'researchers' to F___ Off!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The researchers appeared surprised that their own findings had been “ultimately rejected” by many academic journals, leaving them with the impression that their research decrying so-called fascism in academia is viewed by some as “irrelevant to engineering education if not alarmist.”

They claimed their research methods used “antifascist and trans/queer methodologies to transform the raw data” and “make effective interventions and transformations to our programs and institutions.”

They described “Anti-fascism” in particular as a framework that connects “contemporary fascist movements to the foundation of the U.S. as a racial project,” noting elsewhere that “White supremacy” remains ubiquitous in the U.S.

Why the assault on STEM? Because it is what it is. No amount of massaging the data and 'transitioning therapy' will turn a peach into a turnip, will let you drive across a creek on a cell phone tower, or will turn a tank into a jumbo jet.

I am pleased that a large enough number of those in the survey had the temerity to respond to nonsense as it deserved.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Labeling them “malicious respondents,” they adapted their project to examine how the joke responses “relate to engineering culture by framing them within larger social contexts — namely, the rise of online fascism.”

In other words,declare you  already know and understand the problem,and then figure out a way to fight it. You have already decided the root cause of the "problem,so now  all you need is a plan to defeat it without doing all that research and  finding "truth stuff".

A plan that will NO DOUBT involved government grant money and  take years to reach the conclusion that it is due to white racism.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

Why the assault on STEM? Because it is what it is. No amount of massaging the data and 'transitioning therapy' will turn a peach into a turnip, will let you drive across a creek on a cell phone tower, or will turn a tank into a jumbo jet.

I am pleased that a large enough number of those in the survey had the temerity to respond to nonsense as it deserved.

:thumbsup:

Offline mountaineer

Sarcasm and humor are now indicia of fascism. Well, of course, everyone knows Il Duce was renowned for his biting sense of humor. *****rollingeyes*****

I guess if drinking coffee, getting enough sleep and staying fit are signs of white supremacy, then laughing in the face of absurdity (in the form of an LGBTQ survey) just has to be a sign of fascism.

You really couldn't even invent people more stupid than these woke, whining "academics."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Sarcasm and humor are now indicia of fascism. Well, of course, everyone knows Il Duce was renowned for his biting sense of humor. *****rollingeyes*****

I guess if drinking coffee, getting enough sleep and staying fit are signs of white supremacy, then laughing in the face of absurdity (in the form of an LGBTQ survey) just has to be a sign of fascism.

You really couldn't even invent people more stupid than these woke, whining "academics."

@mountaineer

Being an academic means you  never have to grow up and  live in the real world.

Online roamer_1

well STEM is necessarily anchored in reality...
and IT is utterly immune to memes and internet questionnaires, so...  :silly:

Offline mountaineer

Being an academic means you  never have to grow up and  live in the real world.
That's the truth, @sneakypete . We used to live in a very small college town, where just about everyone was employed by or connected to the college. I observed that the more tenured they were, the screwier they were - especially the psychology professors, which I found interesting.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That's the truth, @sneakypete . We used to live in a very small college town, where just about everyone was employed by or connected to the college. I observed that the more tenured they were, the screwier they were - especially the psychology professors, which I found interesting.

@mountaineer

Seems VERY obvious to me. They became psy profs because they KNOW they are mentally unstable,and were looking to mend themselves.

Offline PeteS in CA

Engineering and physics and etc. are "hard sciences" dependent on and driven by facts. Social "sciences" like Transgender Studies are squishy, choosing, massaging, and pretzellating data to support desired conclusions. Facts are intolerant and if ignored yield fire, smoke, collapsed structures, etc., etc., etc.. Gender is defined by the hard biological fact of a person's chromosomes, therefore hard sciences must be attacked.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@mountaineer

Seems VERY obvious to me. They became psy profs because they KNOW they are mentally unstable,and were looking to mend themselves.

@sneakypete

They just learn that the best way to mend themselves, is to consider themselves Normal and everybody else needs mending.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

They just learn that the best way to mend themselves, is to consider themselves Normal and everybody else needs mending.

@Cyber Liberty

Or......,they finally figure out they are nuts and there ain't no fixing it,so they try to get everyone else to believe THEY are the normal ones,and everyone else should adjust to be just like them.

I call it "Hiding in a crowd".