Author Topic: Trump to face racketeering charge in Georgia for attempting to overturn 2020 election results  (Read 4711 times)

Online Kamaji

Trump to face racketeering charge in Georgia for attempting to overturn 2020 election results: report

By Josh Christenson
July 21, 2023

Atlanta’s top prosecutor is preparing to charge former President Donald Trump with racketeering for his efforts to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia.

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis will formally accuse Trump, 77, of influencing witnesses and computer trespassing, The Guardian reported Friday, in what could be the former president’s fourth indictment this year.

Trump made several phone calls to Georgia election officials after his electoral loss to now-President Biden, asking Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger in one infamous conversation to “find” 11,780 votes to overturn his defeat in the Peach State.

Willis also probed the involvement of ex-Trump attorney Sidney Powell in the alleged breach of Dominion Voting Systems machines that relayed election data from Coffee County, sources briefed on the matter told the outlet.

The indictment could be handed down as soon as early next month.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/21/trump-to-face-racketeering-charge-for-georgia-election-report/

Online corbe

How many Indictments does this make against Trump?  Al Capone only had 22.   888mouth
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Racketeering sounds about right.

A sitting President has no place personally lobbying state eleciton officials to "find" the votes necessary to change the outcome.

We have state elections for Federal officeholders.

What happened in 2020 and 2021 demonstrates why elections should not be Federalized.

Also, WTF business did South Carolina Federal Senator Lindsey Graham have lobbying Georgia state officials on Trump's behalf?

Federalism is the check and balance against Federal tyrants.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online libertybele

How many Indictments does this make against Trump?  Al Capone only had 22.   888mouth

So far I believe he has 37 felony indictments against him.

Foolish for anyone to believe he's going to walk away from all of this.  I think he'll serve prison time.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Foolish for anyone to believe he's going to walk away from all of this.  I think he'll serve prison time.

And then what?  @libertybele

Online Hoodat

Here is Trump's golden opportunity for his election challenge to be heard in court, putting Brad Raffensperger under oath.  Yet Trump wants it thrown out.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Kamaji

The definition of "racketeering activity" for Georgia state law purposes is located here:  https://casetext.com/statute/code-of-georgia/title-16-crimes-and-offenses/chapter-14-racketeer-influenced-and-corrupt-organizations/section-16-14-3-definitions#:~:text=(A)%20%22racketeering%20activity

Personally, I'm just not seeing where the things Trump did fit into the definition of "racketeering activity".

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Racketeering sounds about right.

A sitting President has no place personally lobbying state election officials to "find" the votes necessary to change the outcome.

Putting "find" in quotation marks begs the relevant question, though, which is "did Trump believe that there were sufficient illegal votes cast in Georgia to change the result of the election?"

Because if the answer to that question is "yes", then what he was really asking them to do was to do their job and expose the fraud, and that isn't illegal.

I think the burden is going to be on the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Trump did not believe that there were fraudulent votes, and was therefore knowingly asking the governor to commit fraud.  I don't think that's true, and I don't think there will be sufficient evidence to prove that is true.

I can't stand Trump.  But part of his narcissistic personality is to believe anything told to him that benefits him.  I think he truly believed the election in Georgia was stolen, and that he was just asking the Gov. and Sec'y of State to uncover it.

That isn't a crime.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 10:00:06 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump:  "THEY DON’T GO AFTER THE PEOPLE WHO CHEATED IN THE ELECTION, THEY ONLY GO AFTER THE PEOPLE WHO REPORT ON, OR QUESTION, THE CHEATING." (Video)

https://twitter.com/TeamTrump/status/1682471964978323457

Online Hoodat

Trump:  "THEY DON’T GO AFTER THE PEOPLE WHO CHEATED IN THE ELECTION, THEY ONLY GO AFTER THE PEOPLE WHO REPORT ON, OR QUESTION, THE CHEATING." (Video)

Now is he has this priceless opportunity to question the cheating.  Imagine having Brad Raffensperger and Gabriel Sterling in the witness chair, both under oath and subject to perjury charges if they don't tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.  This is what Trump is being handed right now, gift-wrapped.  Yet he is too stupid and selfish to pursue the opportunity.  Instead, he wants a judge to end it.  What a fool of a man!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
And many of the allegedly "conservative" voters here are celebrating about this,and hoping the left can put him in  prison.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline The_Reader_David

Yes, but that count is only as high as it is because the indictment related to the "Stormy Daniels" matter was written to consider each check in partial repayment to Michael Cohen of the payment to Daniels (is that her actual surname?) and each bookkeeping entry recording the partial repayment as separate felonies.

Honestly, I think the Georgia indictments when they come down are the only ones that should be considered genuinely disqualifying.  The Jan. 6 stuff is a stretch, since he used the word "peacefully" enough times in his exhortations to protest (even the 'Rats don't really believe it was an insurrection, or they'd have charged the participants with insurrection, rather than the bland trespassing and disrupting a government proceeding charges they actually leveled), the "Stormy Daniels" stuff is just a partisan hack stretching for charges to apply, and with the precedent established by the non-prosecution of HRC for her mishandling of classified documents, unless DOJ wants to reopen that case, and open cases against Biden and Pence, that same goes for that. 

But the Georgia matter is not coming from Democrat hacks.  It's coming from a Republican run state Attorney General's office (in a state where the Democrats are notorious for their own election denial antics, remember Stacy Abrams), and what Trump is alleged to have done really does represent corrupt activity, though whether it constitutes racketeering or whether some other charge is more appropriate is something for a grand jury with all the inculpatory evidence before it to decide.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline The_Reader_David

And many of the allegedly "conservative" voters here are celebrating about this,and hoping the left can put him in  prison.

Probably all the ones who want the GOP to actually follow William F. Buckley, Jr.'s advice and run the most conservative electable candidate.  Just think, had cooler heads prevailed in 2016, we could be in the middle of the second Cruz administration -- he would have been not just electable, but elected, and was more conservative than Trump (and yes, he'd have picked from the same Federalist Society list of judges for the SCOTUS). 

Trump got lucky, the 'Rats ran HRC whose negatives were about as big at Trump's are now.  OTOH, the country got lucky, too. If they'd run Bernie Sanders, by the end of the first Sanders administration, we might not have had a country.

Although, you may note from my last post, I'm not particularly keen on the idea of the Left getting Trump, I'd rather the Georgia Attorney General's office be the ones who get him, since that's the one indictment he's facing that doesn't smack of banana-republic-style political payback.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 01:20:27 am by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Hoodat

I'm not particularly keen on the idea of the Left getting Trump, I'd rather the Georgia Attorney General's office be the ones who get him, since that's the one indictment he's facing that doesn't smack of banana-republic-style political payback.

The AG is just as corrupt as the SoS.  He wouldn't dare press this case.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline cato potatoe

No --- as Donald told us, imprisoning him would be dangerous.  Very dangerous, with all of his passionate supporters wandering around. 

What if Hillary Clinton called the democrat Pennsylvania Secretary of State in Nov 2016 and told him to "find" 44,285 votes?  Let's say she went on to suggest the refusal to expose voter fraud would result in a criminal offense and a "big risk" to him.  You also were made aware of calls to other state officials.  Would you give her the benefit of the doubt?  Probably not.  The matter is worthy of investigation, though criminal intent is a stretch based on what has been shared.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 04:22:30 am by cato potatoe »

Online Hoodat

All Trump had to do was demand that the Georgia Secretary of State follow the law.  But Trump doesn't understand nuances like following the law.  He just thinks he can pick up the phone and people on the other line will do what he says.

The bottom line here is that the Georgia Secretary of State is the one who should be on trial here.  But Trump doesn't have the first clue at understanding why.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
And we could avoid all of this mess by just not nominating the guy... seems like the safer option here.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
All Trump had to do was demand that the Georgia Secretary of State follow the law.  But Trump doesn't understand nuances like following the law.  He just thinks he can pick up the phone and people on the other line will do what he says.

The bottom line here is that the Georgia Secretary of State is the one who should be on trial here. But Trump doesn't have the first clue at understanding why.

@Hoodat

Yes,but we ALL know that is NOT going to happen. Chances are the Ga Sec of State is just following orders from the DNC,and even IF you could prove that,so what? There is nothing you could do to stop it from happening.'

Which essentially means we are ALREADY a corrupt 3rd world nation where the law means what the politicans WANT them to mean,with no concern whatsoever as to right  and wrong,or justice.

Not only do I NOT know what to do about this,I am not even sure there IS anything that can be done about it because this is not JUST the corruption of a few ambitious politicians,it is the takeover of the judicial system in order to punish a politician and corrupt an election in order to get the outcome desired by the party in power.

We can't even complain to the press about this in order to get them to write editorials to influence people to rise up against the political corruption because the  same people that OWN the alleged Democratic Party own the press.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
And we could
avoid all of this mess by just not nominating the guy... seems like the safer option here.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Yes,just bow to the corruption and allow this to happen without even complaining.

Good idea! THAT will be sure to stop it from being even worse during the next election cycle,huh?

We might as well all sign declarations stating "anything you want,Master DNC,we are fine with!"

We either  stop this NOW,or it will never stop,and America,as a  nation of free people,will cease to exist,also.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 08:01:18 am by sneakypete »

Online Kamaji

And we could avoid all of this mess by just not nominating the guy... seems like the safer option here.

:thumbsup:

Offline LMAO

What if Hillary Clinton called the democrat Pennsylvania Secretary of State in Nov 2016 and told him to "find" 44,285 votes?  Let's say she went on to suggest the refusal to expose voter fraud would result in a criminal offense and a "big risk" to him.  You also were made aware of calls to other state officials.  Would you give her the benefit of the doubt?  Probably not.  The matter is worthy of investigation, though criminal intent is a stretch based on what has been shared.

MAGAs would be gnashing their teeth and foaming at the mouth if she did the above
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
MAGAs would be gnashing their teeth and foaming at the mouth if she did the above

@LMAO

What if pigs had wings?

Would we all walk around wearing helmets?

Offline LMAO

@LMAO

What if pigs had wings?

Would we all walk around wearing helmets?

What the hell does this have to do with the point made in Cato’s post? He’s right. You, and other Trump backers, would be howling at the moon and demanding retribution if Hillary did what Trump did
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

What the hell does this have to do with the point made in Cato’s post? He’s right. You, and other Trump backers, would be howling at the moon and demanding retribution if Hillary did what Trump did

@LMAO

Good to see you coming out of the closet to defend Bubbette!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
But Trump doesn't understand nuances like following the law.  He just thinks he can pick up the phone and people on the other line will do what he says.

He doesn't even want to put in the effort to try to understand them.  He either thinks it's beneath him or that he shouldn't have to worry about them because he's President.

But that's the freaking job.  Being President is being in the biggest of the big leagues, and you have to put in a lot of work and effort to do the job properly.  If you don't have a political or legal background, that just means you have to work and study harder to do the job the right way.  "I'm not a politician or lawyer" is a decent excuse for the first six months.  Maybe a year.  After that, you've had more than enough time to get the basics down, and not make rookie mistakes.   Trump spent more than enough time on golf courses in his first year to have taken an entire law school course on Constitutional law.

If you get a new job and there's stuff you don't know, it is your job to learn it.  When I got to my first artillery battery, I was trained as an artillery officer, but received absolutely no training for all the collateral duties I got, which includes being battery motor transport officer.    So I cracked open the manuals on the jeep, M939 series five ton truck, and the various trailers, studied them at night, and had my motor transport ops chief repeatedly walk me through the proper inspection procedures for both vehicles.  We were a nuclear capable battery, so I also was assigned as Nuclear Safety Officer, which meant a whole other series of books and orders I had to learn - again, on my "own time" - to make sure that all our paperwork was in order, training records done, etc..

It seems to me like Trump put in absolutely no effort at all - literally none - to learn the key things about the government that he didn't know.  He just relied on whatever people would tell him in briefings, and then shot from the hip on issues.  It is extraordinarily easy to be misled by people if you don't put in the work necessary to acquire knowledge independently of those people.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 06:28:39 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »