Author Topic: Kerry Returns from China without a Climate Deal, or Even a Meeting with Xi  (Read 203 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Kerry Returns from China without a Climate Deal, or Even a Meeting with Xi
16 hours ago Eric Worrall 
Essay by Eric Worrall

First published JoNova; Kerry on fire: Talks were very productive, but didn’t produce a single breakthrough, and Xi ignored Kerry’s desire for a meeting.

As the world sizzles, China says it will deal with climate its own way

By Christian Shepherd,  Emily Rauhala and Chris Mooney

Updated July 19, 2023 at 12:26 p.m. EDT | Published July 19, 2023 at 7:07 a.m. EDT

As parts of the Northern Hemisphere reach heat close to the limits of human survival, Chinese leader Xi Jinping declared in remarks reported Wednesday that Beijing alone will decide how — and how quickly — it addresses climate change.

Xi’s comments to top Communist Party officials, which came as U.S. climate envoy John F. Kerry wrapped up three days of talks with his Chinese counterpart, laid bare the challenge the world faces in curbing planet-warming pollution that is fueling heat waves across three continents. China has surpassed the United States as the world’s largest greenhouse gas emitter, and approved the construction of dozens of coal plants last year even as it added more renewable power.

China would pursue its commitments “unswervingly,” but the pace of such efforts “should and must be” determined without outside interference, Xi said late Tuesday. Xi’s approach marked a break from the 2015 Paris climate accord, where a Chinese-U.S. agreement paved the way for the international goal of keeping global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 Fahrenheit) above preindustrial levels.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/07/20/kerry-returns-from-china-without-a-climate-deal/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson