Author Topic: Trump Praises ‘Smart, Brilliant, Everything Perfect’ Xi Jinping: ‘Runs 1.4 Billion People With an Ir  (Read 2026 times)

Online LMAO

I think Trump himself already has answered that one on behalf of his supporters:

"I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot someone and I wouldn't lose voters"

Those people would defend literally anything he says or does.

And that’s just the way it is. Every candidate has their true unquestioning believers.  Maybe Trump didn’t mean for it to come across as if he was sympathetic to the governing style of Xi but it sure does come across that way.

However, this is his history.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline ScottinVA

Is it such a problem for Trump supporters to admit that his mouth is a problem/flaw in the guy?

Most Trump supporters are bonded to him emotionally.  As such, they have built-in excuses for his many flaws.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Guilty as charged.  But if you can find that hint of a shred of where Trump criticized Xi Jinping's repression in his comments, please do.

I think we've all heard Presidents of (usually) both parties criticize repressive regimes for a long time.  That's what we're used to hearing our President's standing against.  Even if it is a pseudo-ally like Saudi Arabia, we'll at least mumble apologetically for overlooking their human rights record.  We certain don't praise tendencies towards repression.

When I read the headline, I figured it could not possibly be a direct quote.  There's just no way an American President would ever state his admiration for a foreign dictator because he ruled with an "iron fist".  I thought someone had to have paraphrased badly or just made it up.

Turns out that's exactly what Trump said, and that's just stunning to me.

When I read the full quote my take is that despite Xi's brilliance, perfection, and iron fist Trump still has Xi's number. I guess I'm supposed to believe calling Xi  a dictator and sending kowtowing minions in the wake is a better way.  :shrug:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Polly Ticks

Is it such a problem for Trump supporters to admit that his mouth is a problem/flaw in the guy?

It is well-known that communication is a two-way street.  Trump's cadre of über-fans appear to believe that no matter what he says, it must be taken to mean something entirely positive or it is the sole fault of the receiver.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DB

When I read the full quote my take is that despite Xi's brilliance, perfection, and iron fist Trump still has Xi's number. I guess I'm supposed to believe calling Xi  a dictator and sending kowtowing minions in the wake is a better way.  :shrug:

When did Reagan praise any dictator? And Reagan brought down the soviet empire by calling it what it was.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
When did Reagan praise any dictator? And Reagan brought down the soviet empire by calling it what it was.

:thumbsup:

Offline ScottinVA

It is well-known that communication is a two-way street.  Trump's cadre of über-fans appear to believe that no matter what he says, it must be taken to mean something entirely positive or it is the sole fault of the receiver.

Yes... it's a component of his masterful 8-dimensional chess strategy, to hear the MAGAs tell it. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

In 1988, a reporter asked Reagan about his prior statement regarding the Soviet Union being an "evil empire" and whether he still stood by it. He said that was no longer the case, adding, "That was another time, another era." When asked whether he and Gorbachev were friends, he said, "Yes,"

https://www.grunge.com/987861/the-truth-about-mikhail-gorbachev-and-ronald-reagans-relationship/

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

In 1988, a reporter asked Reagan about his prior statement regarding the Soviet Union being an "evil empire" and whether he still stood by it. He said that was no longer the case, adding, "That was another time, another era." When asked whether he and Gorbachev were friends, he said, "Yes,"

https://www.grunge.com/987861/the-truth-about-mikhail-gorbachev-and-ronald-reagans-relationship/

Reagan had first called the Soviet Union the "Evil Empire" in a 1982 speech before the House of Commons, and again in a 1983 speech.  At that time, Brezhnev was still leading the Soviet Union, and they were still sending more and more troops into Afghanistan and fomenting trouble elsewhere in the world.

The 1988 statement came at a summit in Moscow between Reagan and Gorbachev (two Chairmen after Brezhnev), after the Soviet Union had actually begun the withdrawal from Afghanistan two weeks before, and after Gorbachev had promised more concessions on nuclear weapons and the START talks.  In other words, Reagan changed his behavior towards the Soviet Union when the Soviet Union's own behavior had changed, and when they had a new leader who wasn't as intent on expansionism.  His judgment of Gorbachev later was proved 100% correct when Gorbachev presided over/permitted the non-violent dismantling of both the Warsaw Pact and the Soviet Union itself.

Xi JinPing is the exact same guy who has been ordering provocations against Taiwan and U.S. naval assets in the Pacific.  He's the same guy who gave us Covid, lied about it, and under whose leadership China is still engaged in wholesale, government-directed theft of our technology.  He's an aggressive and expansionistic Chinese leader who is becoming worse rather than better.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 04:19:36 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

Reagan had first called the Soviet Union the "Evil Empire" in a 1982 speech before the House of Commons, and again in a 1983 speech.  At that time, Brezhnev was still leading the Soviet Union, and they were still sending more and more troops into Afghanistan and fomenting trouble elsewhere in the world.

The 1988 statement came at a summit in Moscow between Reagan and Gorbachev (two Chairman after Brezhnev), after the Soviet Union had actually begun the withdrawal from Afghanistan two weeks before, and after Gorbachev had promised more concessions on nuclear weapons and the START talks.  In other words, Reagan changed his behavior towards the Soviet Union when the Soviet Union's own behavior had changed, and when they had a new leader who wasn't as intent on expansionism.  His judgment of Gorbachev later was proved 100% correct when Gorbachev presided over/permitted the dismantling of both the Warsaw Pact and the Soviet Union itself.

Xi JinPing is the exact same guy who has been ordering provocations against Taiwan and U.S. naval assets in the Pacific.  He's the same guy who gave us Covid, lied about it, and under whose leadership China is still engaged in wholesale, government-directed theft of our technology.  He's an aggressive and expansionistic Chinese leader who is becoming worse rather than better.

:thumbsup:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Trump had a fairly aggressive anti-China policy that, if anything, would be more aggressive if he was still POTUS . Any of Xi's becoming worse should be laid at Biden's feet.

Online Hoodat

Why do you insist the problem is Trump's @Weird Tolkienish Figure ?   Not everyone has a problem with his words.

Well clearly you do since you felt compelled to lie about what Trump said.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Well clearly you do since you felt compelled to lie about what Trump said.

Kind of hard to spin "we love each other."   :beer:

Online LMAO

Kind of hard to spin "we love each other."   :beer:

This isn't  the first time he expressed some admiration for the governing style of hardline dictators.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/02/politics/donald-trump-dictators-kim-jong-un-vladimir-putin/index.html
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy