Author Topic: DeSantis' 'Mission First Military' Plan Would Put the Armed Forces on the Path to Success  (Read 1409 times)

Online Kamaji

Ron DeSantis' 'Mission First Military' Plan Would Put the Armed Forces on the Path to Success

By streiff
July 19, 2023

Florida Governor and 2024 GOP presidential contender Ron DeSantis has released his plan to change the military from a Petrie dish for D+ Sociology majors back into the Number One fighting force in the world. His campaign has posted his Military Reform Plan titled “Ron DeSantis’ Plan for a “Mission First” Military,” and it is well worth the read.

The plan is divided into four major sections; each focused on addressing one of the chronic problems that infected the US military sometime during the Clinton regime.

Summary
On the whole, I think DeSantis has done a great job of identifying the problem. Executing the plan is going to cause a lot of problems which is no reason not to do it. As far as I’m concerned, the key parts of the plan are eradicating the DIE infrastructure from employees to people who have spoken at DIE conferences. Anyone who has collaborated with this menace should get no mercy. The second part is to ruthlessly force into retirement admirals and generals who have contributed to the collapse of discipline and standards. They must be identified before he takes office and given their walking papers on Day One.

If those two things are accomplished, the rest of the program will fall into place. If not, then the whole thing is dead in the water.

Source:  https://redstate.com/streiff/2023/07/19/ron-desantis-mission-first-military-plan-would-put-the-armed-forces-on-the-path-to-success-n778935

Offline ScottinVA

Having served his country in uniform, DeSantis has the correct mindset as to what needs to be done to set the US Armed Forces back on that path to success.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 12:43:43 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
This is a great issue for DeSantis.  He's got more credibility on the issue than any other Republican, and he's got the legal/Constitutional knowledge to do it in a way that is both effective, and defensible legally.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
This is a great issue for DeSantis.  He's got more credibility on the issue than any other Republican, and he's got the legal/Constitutional knowledge to do it in a way that is both effective, and defensible legally.
:pondering: It sounds very good. How long until we hear that DeSantis stole the plan/idea from Trump...or that no one could make it happen so we should all just settle for rude and orange?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Having served his country in uniform, DeSantis has the correct mindset as to what needs to be done to set the US Armed Forces back on that path to success.

@ScottinVA

Maybe,maybe not. Merely "serving in uniform" means diddly-squat. The US military is a VERY complex organization and no "one size fits all" program is going to work.

I do agree that change DEFINITELY needs to start at the top.

I will also confess to thinking that whoever thought Miss Miley should be running the Army should be shot on sight,preferably,a "little bit here",and a "little bit there" until THAT debt to America is paid in full.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
:pondering: It sounds very good. How long until we hear that DeSantis stole the plan/idea from Trump...or that no one could make it happen so we should all just settle for rude and orange?

@GtHawk

Trump just lives rent-free inside your head 24/7,doesn't  he?

Offline ScottinVA

@ScottinVA

Maybe,maybe not. Merely "serving in uniform" means diddly-squat. The US military is a VERY complex organization and no "one size fits all" program is going to work.

I do agree that change DEFINITELY needs to start at the top.

I will also confess to thinking that whoever thought Miss Miley should be running the Army should be shot on sight,preferably,a "little bit here",and a "little bit there" until THAT debt to America is paid in full.

While I agree there is no “one size fits all” solution, serving in the military gives a perspective that those who don’t will never have.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

While I agree there is no “one size fits all” solution, serving in the military gives a perspective that those who don’t will never have.

I think the other advantage DeSantis has is that this is one of those issues that can be won or lost legally depending upon how it is presented/justified, and DeSantis is knowledgeable enough and disciplined enough to be very careful about the public statements he makes so as not to undermine the legal case.

By the way, a lot of folks were complaining about the military academy footnote in the affirmative action opinion where the court noted the "potentially distinct interest" that those schools may have in the issue.  Presumably, because the military may sometimes need to discriminate.   That might actually be a good thing when it comes to tranny issues.

Online corbe

Granted Eisenhower set the bar pretty high but these last 15 years in our history of having a CIC not of Military background has had a detrimental effect on our Military.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

:pondering: It sounds very good. How long until we hear that DeSantis stole the plan/idea from Trump..

This is a real problem for RDS on issues, though I prefer the word "plagerize".  Trump has spoken about the military for months, even put out a video.  In addition, Trump has a track record for rebuilding the military and gaining the support of the rank and file members.

"President Donald J. Trump announced his plan to rebuild America’s depleted military, address the military recruitment crisis, and restore the proud culture and honor of America’s armed forces. 👇". (Video)

https://twitter.com/TeamTrump/status/1681371404451586048

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I think the other advantage DeSantis has is that this is one of those issues that can be won or lost legally depending upon how it is presented/justified, and DeSantis is knowledgeable enough and disciplined enough to be very careful about the public statements he makes so as not to undermine the legal case.

Like he has with Disney?

Online corbe

obummer was using the Military for Social experiments and Climate Change. Trump appointed Gen. Milley which was gasoline on the fire.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
    Trump appointed Gen. Milley which was gasoline on the fire.

@corbe

Ok,I seriously doubt Trump had ever even met anyone in the military  before becoming President,so who the HELL was it that recommended he appoint Miss Miley to be the top brass of the US Army?

Whoever it was should be taken outside and beaten to within an inch of their lives,several times in a row.

Offline libertybele

@corbe

Ok,I seriously doubt Trump had ever even met anyone in the military  before becoming President,so who the HELL was it that recommended he appoint Miss Miley to be the top brass of the US Army?

Whoever it was should be taken outside and beaten to within an inch of their lives,several times in a row.

Stop making excuses for Trump's picks -- since when does he listen to anyone?  He does things his way or the highway and was quite incompetent at selecting good people.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Stop making excuses for Trump's picks -- since when does he listen to anyone? 

@libertybele

Are you REALLY,that freaking  stoopid?

How the HELL would someone like Trump,who most likely has never met a General Officer in his life,presumed to have picked a posing piece of Biden like that from a whole damn flock of General Officers?

He is and always HAS been a freaking executive,and executives have assistants to do the research and make recommendations about things like that.

Now,if it were a nomination for a politician to head up  some agency,that would be different. Mingling with  the creatures we call "Professional Politicians" is and always has been a normal part of his daily life  as a businessman. Even if he had wanted to avoid them,it would have been impossible.

He does things his way or the highway and was quite incompetent at selecting good people.

Blah,blah,bullbush,blah.

Offline libertybele

That truth stings doesn't it @sneakypete?  There's no denying that Trump is incompetent at selecting good people.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

Trump has a track record for rebuilding the military and gaining the support of the rank and file members.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That truth stings doesn't it @sneakypete?  There's no denying that Trump is incompetent at selecting good people.

@libertybele

Blah,blah,blah.  SOS,every day.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@corbe

Ok,I seriously doubt Trump had ever even met anyone in the military  before becoming President,so who the HELL was it that recommended he appoint Miss Miley to be the top brass of the US Army?  Whoever it was should be taken outside and beaten to within an inch of their lives, several times in a row.

@sneakypete

Are you sure about that?

Because that means the identity of the guy who "should be taken outside and beaten to within an inch of their lives, several times in a row" is...drum roll....

Donald Trump!

Yup. That one is all on Trump himself.  The Secretary of Defense and the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs didn't want Milley, and they both recommended instead that Air Force Chief of Staff General David Goldfein be made the next Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.  This was reported at the time.

https://www.newsmax.com/john-gizzi/milley-trump-mattis-hitler/2021/07/16/id/1028886/
https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2019/07/25/milley-confirmation/

So why did Trump pick Milley instead?  Well, Milley had been Chief of Staff of the Army since Trump took office, so Trump got to know him and liked him.  Here's an article from that time talking about how Milley ended up with the job:

Milley was at times considered a long shot for Joint Chiefs chairman, who serves as the top military adviser to the president. Others in contention included Adm. John Richardson and Air Force Gen. David Goldfein. Sources say some of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis' aides this week were still betting on Goldfein.

Milley is a chatty, quick-witted, barrel-chested officer who seemed to click with Trump. At times they could be seen laughing together, or sharing a joke.
During a Medal of Honor presentation in June, Trump pointed to Milley, seated in the front row.  "A very good negotiator, Gen. Mark Milley," Trump said. "I could see in his eyes when I talk about the cost of those bombs. He's good at throwing them, but he's also good at pricing them. Right? I see it."

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/08/674935309/meet-mark-milley-trumps-pick-for-joint-chiefs-chairman

I mean...that's all on Trump.  He clearly took his face to face, personal evaluation of the guy over the recommendation of the military professionals.  And look where Trump's decision has gotten us....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Hoodat

Are you one of the retards that actually thinks Trump picked Miss Miley over all the other Generals under consideration?

Trump was a life-long businessman,and people who  run large businesses have  STAFF that  are responsible for doing the research on people like that,and making recommendations.

The fact that Trump tried to continue  with "business as usual/operating as a business executive" after being elected President was a MAJOR mistake he made after being elected.

In the business world,people who give bad advise to their CEO tend to get fired and are unlikely to ever be hired for a responsible position again.

In politics,they get slapped on the back and thanked by the people who bribed them to do it.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@libertybele @corbe

Stop making excuses for Trump's picks -- since when does he listen to anyone?  He does things his way or the highway and was quite incompetent at selecting good people.

As you can see from my post above, that's 100% true in this case.  Defense Secretary Mattis and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs General Dunford had recommended Air Force General David Goldfein, not Milley.  Trump overruled their recommendations, went with his personal, face to face relationship with Milley, and made him CJS instead.

No possible way to blame that on anyone but Trump himself.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Are you sure about that?

Because that means the identity of the guy who "should be taken outside and beaten to within an inch of their lives, several times in a row" is...drum roll....

Donald Trump!

Yup. That one is all on Trump himself.  The Secretary of Defense and the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs didn't want Milley, and they both recommended instead that Air Force Chief of Staff General David Goldfein be made the next Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.  This was reported at the time.

https://www.newsmax.com/john-gizzi/milley-trump-mattis-hitler/2021/07/16/id/1028886/
https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2019/07/25/milley-confirmation/

So why did Trump pick Milley instead?  Well, Milley had been Chief of Staff of the Army since Trump took office, so Trump got to know him and liked him.  Here's an article from that time talking about how Milley ended up with the job:

I mean...that's all on Trump.  He clearly took his face to face, personal evaluation of the guy over the recommendation of the military professionals.  And look where Trump's decision has gotten us....

@Maj. Bill Martin

Gee,you think that MAYBE the stars on her collars had something to do with it? WHY would Trump think that a 4 star  General Officer WASN'T competent?

AFATG,it even surprised me. Granted,I have had experience dealing with ONLY one General Officer,but I STILL have a hard time believing a posing  piece of shit like Miss Miley EVER got  to wear starts.

The only conclusion I can come to is that Miss Miley  was blowing a group of prominent politicians,and they were the ones that put the stars on her and suggested she be made the Top Dog.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 01:21:29 am by sneakypete »

Online Hoodat

@Hoodat

Are you one of the retards that actually thinks Trump picked Miss Miley over all the other Generals under consideration?

Trump was a life-long businessman,and people who  run large businesses have  STAFF that  are responsible for doing the research on people like that,and making recommendations.

On December 8, 2018, President Donald Trump announced that he would nominate Milley to serve as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, although Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis and then-Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Joseph Dunford favored Air Force Chief of Staff General David L. Goldfein for the appointment.[50][51][52][53] Milley had initially been fielded as a candidate to succeed Curtis Scaparrotti as commander of the United States European Command and Supreme Allied Commander Europe but after the interview with Trump was nominated for the chairmanship instead.[54][55]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Milley

Trump's staff did the research.  Trump's staff recommended General David L. Goldfein.  But Trump met personally with Milley.  Trump made the call.  Trump went against recommendation of his staff.

Care to try again?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@Maj. Bill Martin

Gee,you think that MAYBE the stars on her collars had something to do with it? WHY would Trump think that a 4 star  General Officer WASN'T competent?

@sneakypete

That is a hell of a lot of backpedaling from saying the guy should be taken out and beaten almost to death multiple times.  And they all have stars on their collars, so justifying Trump's pick on that basis is ridiculous.  The question is why did Trump choose that particular general and his stars over any of the other choices he could have made.  Why ignore the recommendation of both the Secretary of Defense and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs to pick someone else?  Why Milley??

Trump had known Milley for more than two years before he made that pick.  And remember the debate during the Trump Administration over women in infantry/combat units?  The Commandant of the Marine Corps, Dunford, had argued against it.  Mattis had argued against it.  But Milley was for it, and that's who Trump chose.  He met with the Joint Chiefs all the time -- he had a chance to hear their views on issues (including women in combat) for two years.    He made his own evaluation, his own judgment, and is solely responsible for it.

The only conclusion I can come to is that Miss Miley  was blowing a group of prominent politicians,and they were the ones that put the stars on her and suggested she be made the Top Dog.

No, that isn't the only conclusion you can come to.  You can come to the correct conclusion -- the only one for which there is a shred of evidecce and that was openly reported at the time.
Trump struck up a good personal relationship with Milley, thought he was a really smart negotiator, and overruled the recommendations of the SecDef and CJS.  There isn't a shred of evidence that some unnamed "politicians" recommended Milley instead, but if they did, what kind of an idiot with zero military experience of his own would choose to listen to a bunch of politicians rather than to guys with more more than 60 years of experience between them?

Milley is on Trump, and Trump alone.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 01:49:51 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Hoodat

Seeing how Trump himself made the call for Top Dog, are you suggesting that Milley blew Trump?  I would be much more comfortable accepting that scenario than having to believe that Trump actually thought Milley was the best person for the job.