Author Topic: Analysis: On the DeSantis 'Reset'  (Read 308 times)

Offline Kamaji

Analysis: On the DeSantis 'Reset'
« on: July 19, 2023, 03:22:27 pm »
Analysis: On the DeSantis 'Reset'

Guy Benson
July 19, 2023

It's being called a "reset" and a "reboot" by various media outlets. The campaign may dispute those characterizations (they may prefer 'growing pains'), but the terms seem to apply to some extent, as Team DeSantis pivots on several fronts.  His team has cut some of its sprawling staff and is reducing expenditures, while also sitting down for interviews beyond its previous diet of curated outlets -- including with CNN's Jake Tapper and on Megyn Kelly's podcast.  The Florida Governor acquitted himself well with Tapper yesterday afternoon, offering focused and cogent answers on a host of issue, ranging from new potential legal trouble for former President Trump to military recruitment concerns to trans athletes competing in women's sports.  He is seeking to build and keep momentum that has backslid in recent weeks, during which Trump's GOP primary lead has expanded both nationally and in a number of states. He's been floating in the low-to-mid 20's, basically stagnant, while Trump garners majority support.  That's a commanding lead. 

DeSantis' star skyrocketed because of his excellent, focused, economically-triumphant governance in Florida, culminating in a positivity-infused re-election bid and a victory of historic proportions.  DeSantis can't run a general election campaign yet, for self-explanatory reasons, but channeling more of what got him to this point, rather than pounding away on the relentlessly right-wing 'culture war' issues might be in order.  He can't and shouldn't shy away from some of those cultural battles, but perhaps they've been over-emphasized.  Ultimately, regardless of tactics and messaging, DeSantis -- or anyone who wants to seriously challenge Trump -- will need to achieve two things: (1) Consolidate the Trump-skeptical elements of the Republican-leaning electorate, and (2) win over some sizable swath of Trump supporters.  The former task will be difficult, but could become easier if any when the field is significantly culled ahead of the start of voting next year.  The latter job will require connecting with and winning over many more voters exactly like this one:

https://twitter.com/DeSantisWarRoom/status/1681090763231309824

That is the voice of a Trump loyalist who just isn't convinced he can win again, or be effective if he does. DeSantis' response is basically pitch perfect: ("But here's the thing -- the question for us now is what are we going to do about it? It's not about me; it's about you, and standing up for you...We will be focused, we will be disciplined, and we will make it happen"). They might want to seriously consider turning the exchange into an ad. And even though it will frustrate the fraction of right-leaning voters who want Republicans to take a tougher line against Trump, this is a smart way to answer a question about yet another looming indictment -- especially the bit about needing to look forward, versus constantly relitigating previous fights and dramas:

Source:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2023/07/19/the-desantis-reset-n2625898

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Analysis: On the DeSantis 'Reset'
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 04:17:51 pm »
... just a different group of political consultants draining his campaign's coffers.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 04:59:57 pm »
... just a different group of political consultants draining his campaign's coffers.

Win or lose, they get paid either way
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 08:14:41 pm »
From the article….

but channeling more of what got him to this point, rather than pounding away on the relentlessly right-wing 'culture war' issues might be in order.  He can't and shouldn't shy away from some of those cultural battles, but perhaps they've been over-emphasized.

pointing-up

This is what all the other GOP candidates should be doing, especially with the leftward drift of Donald Trump on not just the cultural issues, but the spending as well

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 08:25:52 pm »
From the article….

but channeling more of what got him to this point, rather than pounding away on the relentlessly right-wing 'culture war' issues might be in order.  He can't and shouldn't shy away from some of those cultural battles, but perhaps they've been over-emphasized.

pointing-up

This is what all the other GOP candidates should be doing, especially with the leftward drift of Donald Trump on not just the cultural issues, but the spending as well

:thumbsup: