Author Topic: Could Navy Ships Track, Intercept & Destroy a Chinese or North Korean ICBM?  (Read 251 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Could Navy Ships Track, Intercept & Destroy a Chinese or North Korean ICBM?
The pace of Chinese nuclear weapons modernization and production, combined with Russia’s known arsenal of tactical, nuclear-capable hypersonic and larger ICBMs are certainly not lost on the Pentagon.
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONJUL 15, 2023
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

The threat of enemy ICBMs continues to grow more ominous given the precarious circumstance in Ukraine, Putin's threats, China's ongoing effort to double its number of nuclear warheads by the end of the decade and North Korea's recent ICBM test firing.

Certainly the ability to respond with a massive, catastrophic nuclear weapons attack can serve as a deterrent potentially stopping any would-be nuclear attacker, yet the role of air, sea and land-based missile defense only continues to become more pressing.

The ground-based interceptors are pretty well known and continue to be upgraded with new command and control technology, interceptor guidance with advanced kill vehicles and sensor fidelity, yet there are also a number of critical new avenues of ICBM defense. These include, for example, the potential ability of a fighter jet to incinerate a launching ICBM during its boost phase with laser weapons, innovative and yet to be discovered space-based defenses, a new generation of interceptors and .. perhaps most recently, Navy ships at sea. The Navy has long operated and upgraded its Aegis Combat System ship-based air and cruise missile defense system to intercept short, medium and long-range ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and other threats, yet Aegis-capable Navy ships can now possibly track and destroy enemy ICBMs at sea.

Can Navy Ships Shoot Down ICBMs?

https://warriormaven.com/sea/could-navy-ships-track-intercept-destroy-a-chinese-or-north-korean-icbm
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
When we would launch a weather balloon on my ship, the gunners on the 5 inch cannons would "track" it.  I would occasionally go in and take down the data.  Based on my observations, I would say there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of shooting anything down.  Of course, that was 50 years ago so hopefully they have improved some. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The US could barely bring itself to shoot down a Chi-com spy ballon in American airspace after its mission was complete.

The Biden Admin is not decisive enough to make a decision within the time it would take an ICBM to reach American targets.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright