Author Topic: Ron DeSantis Just Parroted the Democrat Line on Jan 6.  (Read 2440 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Ron DeSantis Just Parroted the Democrat Line on Jan 6.
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2023, 08:52:24 pm »
DeSantis' statement looks to be accurate depending upon the time period being discussed.   As I said elsewhere, I didn't watch it all myself but I did find a timeline.  The key entries for purposes of DeSantis' comment are these:

1:25 p.m.: Trump sits down in the private dining room near the Oval Office. He sat at the head of the table and faced a TV set to Fox News, which began broadcasting scenes of the mob assault on the Capitol. The chief White House photographer said she was denied access to Trump until 4 p.m.

1:49 p.m.: Trump tweets a video of his speech at the Ellipse, when he'd falsely claimed the election "stolen." DC Metropolitan Police at this time declare a riot at the Capitol. White House staff pleaded with Trump to make a strong public statement calling off the rioters.

2:24 p.m.: After rioters breach the Capitol, Trump tweets: "Mike Pence didn't have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country and our Constitution, giving States a chance to certify a corrected set of facts, not the fraudulent or inaccurate ones which they were asked to previously certify. USA demands the truth!"

2:38 p.m.: Trump tweets: "Please support our Capitol Police and Law Enforcement. They are truly on the side of our Country. Stay peaceful!"

https://www.businessinsider.com/timeline-what-trump-was-doing-as-his-mob-attacked-the-capitol-on-jan-6-2022-7

I didn't personally verify that, so if there's something inaccurate about that timeline, I'd appreciate it if others would correct it. But assuming it is correct....

There is a period of 73 minutes - from 1:25 p.m. until 2:38 p.m., where Trump was just  sitting watching whatever was being shown on Fox, and did "nothing" to discourage what he was watching.  If anything, the two tweets and 1:49 p.m.and 2:24 p.m. arguably signified approval or encouragement of what was being shown on TV.

Now, I'd suppose you'd have to rewatch that broadcast, or at least see some clips with time stamps, to determine if what Trump was watching during that 73 minutes warranted him doing something to discourage it.  From what I read - And again, others should feel free to post any links contradicting this - the fence around the capital was breached by protesters before Trump even started watching, and I imagine it went downhill from there.

So if that's the period of time to which DeSantis is referring, then his claim that Trump did "nothing" while the riot was tacking place is accurate.

Okay, just checked, and Ashli Babbitt was shot well inside the Capitol at 2:44 p.m., only six minutes after Trump finally tweeted.

So DeSantis is pretty clearly referring to the period of time between the beginning of the riot, and Trump making his first effort to tamp things down with a 238 p.m. tweet.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 09:13:33 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2023, 09:09:25 pm »
Then put the statement back into it's context, wherein DeSantis goes on to say it cannot be a criminal action - gutting the strategy. What then the reason for deception?

That's the problem with all this bullshit being slung - Hang the man on a sentence taken out of context. Always the case coming out of the Tumpy camp. Propaganda.

Apply that to any statements made by other candidates.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2023, 10:03:19 pm »
Apply that to any statements made by other candidates.

It applies all the way around. What'd your mamma do when your excuse was, 'Well Johnny does it...'

Bullshit. Shameful propaganda.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2023, 10:04:27 pm »
This is not journalism, or reporting. It's sh*t.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2023, 10:05:28 pm »
This is not journalism, or reporting. It's sh*t.

:thumbsup:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2023, 03:44:42 am »
I can't speak for anyone else, but the behaviors and arguments made by a lot (not all) Trump supporters actually pushed me further away from voting for Trump.  Too often, there is a complete lack of respect for the truth, and for the basic framework of our system of government

You got that right.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2023, 04:29:40 am »
You got that right.

That lack of truth starts at the top.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2023, 04:35:59 am »
That lack of truth starts at the top.

It may start at the top, but it's a full scale avalanche of lies when it reaches here.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2023, 12:00:00 pm »
It may start at the top, but it's a full scale avalanche of lies when it reaches here.

:thumbsup:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2023, 02:47:57 pm »
And he did use the words “peacefully and patriotically” when he talked about marching on the Capitol.

I tend not to listen to political speeches by anyone, but I do read the transcript if I think it's important, and I did that with Trump's January 6 comments yesterday.  And first, uh, wow.  Talk about rambling.  I've seen clips from some of his speeches, but that's the first time I've either read or watched one all the way through.  Are they all that stream of consciousness/disjointed, or was that an exception?  I truly don't know.

Anyway, while he did say "peacefully and patriotically", he said that early in a speech that lasted over an hour, and never repeated it or any other words relating to acting peacefully or without violence.  And after he said that, he said a lot of stuff that clearly would have riled up the crowd.  And this was how he ended the speech:

And again, most people would stand there at 9 o'clock in the evening and say I want to thank you very much, and they go off to some other life. But I said something's wrong here, something is really wrong, can have happened.

And we fight. We fight like hell. And if you don't fight like hell, you're not going to have a country anymore.

Our exciting adventures and boldest endeavors have not yet begun. My fellow Americans, for our movement, for our children, and for our beloved country. And I say this despite all that's happened. The best is yet to come.  So we're going to, we're going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I love Pennsylvania Avenue. And we're going to the Capitol, and we're going to try and give.

The Democrats are hopeless — they never vote for anything. Not even one vote. But we're going to try and give our Republicans, the weak ones because the strong ones don't need any of our help. We're going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country. So let's walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I want to thank you all. God bless you and God Bless America. Thank you all for being here. This is incredible. Thank you very much. Thank you.

I still don't think he said anything criminal, but having read his whole speech, I think it was needlessly inflammatory and irresponsible.

One thing that's kind of sad/funny is that in this closing, he implied that he was going to be marching with those people.  "we're going to the Capitol", and "we're going to try and give", and "let's walk down Pennsylvania Avenue".  And earlier in the speech, he flatly stated he was going to be walking with them:

"Now, it is up to Congress to confront this egregious assault on our democracy. And after this, we're going to walk down, and I'll be there with you, we're going to walk down, we're going to walk down."

And obviously, he didn't go with them, and had them go by themselves.  And he didn't go anywhere except right back to the White House.  Again, not criminal, but just more Trumpian lying.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 02:56:17 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2023, 02:53:57 pm »
I tend not to listen to political speeches by anyone, but I do read the transcript if I think it's important, and I did that with Trump's January 6 comments yesterday.  And first, uh, wow.  Talk about rambling.  I've seen clips from some of his speeches, but that's the first time I've either read or watched one all the way through.  Are they all that stream of consciousness/disjointed?

Anyway, while he did say "peacefully and patriotically", he said that early in a speech that lasted over an hour, and never repeated it or any other words relating to acting peacefully or without violence.  And after he said that, he said a lot of stuff that clearly would have riled up the crowd.  And this was how he ended the speech:

I still don't think he said anything criminal, but having read his whole speech, I think it was needlessly inflammatory and irresponsible.

One thing that's kind of sad/funny is that in this closing, he implied that he was going to be marching with those people.  "we're going to the Capitol", and "we're going to try and give", and "let's walk down Pennsylvania Avenue".  And earlier in the speech, he flatly stated he was going to be walking with them:

And obviously, he didn't go with them, and had them go by themselves.  And he didn't go anywhere except right back to the White House.  Again, not criminal, but just more Trumpian lying.

In other words, providing to the democrats most of the rope needed.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2023, 03:03:54 pm »
In other words, providing to the democrats most of the rope needed.

Yeah, I think it was stupid to give a speech at that time and place period.  He knew he'd draw a massive crowd of people who would still vote for him even if he stood "in the middle of 5th Avenue and shot someone", and that they'd be angry and emotional.

But...I think that was intentional on his part.  I think he wanted to scare/intimidate Pence into doing what Trump thought he should do, and was using the crowd as a means of doing that.  Really, really bad and irresponsible move.