Author Topic: Is misgendering a person a criminal offense? Survey reveals almost half of millennials in favor of t  (Read 768 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Is misgendering a person a criminal offense? Survey reveals almost half of millennials in favor of the idea
Story by Srinija Grandhi • Yesterday 3:03 AM

Nearly 50% of millennials think it should be a crime to refer to a transgender person using the wrong pronouns. According to a survey done by Redfield & Wilton Strategies for Newsweek, among respondents 25 to 34 years old, 44% supported the proposal while only 31 percent opposed it. The other 25% of survey respondents either didn't have an opinion at all or just said they weren't sure.

The survey did not ask the individuals who participated who should be punished for using incorrect pronouns. The 35 to 44-year-old age group had similar thoughts. A criminal offense for misgendering someone appeared to be supported by 38% of that group, while 35% opposed it. Twenty-six percent of respondents, or around a quarter, said that they were unsure or had no opinion.

Is misgendering a person a criminal offense?
Misgendering is not a crime. However, a survey done by Redfield & Wilton Strategies for Newsweek found that 44% of millennials between the ages of 25 and 34 think that using incorrect pronouns to refer to a transgender person should be a crime. While misgendering someone is not illegal, it can be painful and disrespectful to the person. Asking and using someone's chosen pronouns is always preferable.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/is-misgendering-a-person-a-criminal-offense-survey-reveals-almost-half-of-millennials-in-favor-of-the-idea/ar-AA1dVi1K?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ed1940d6711e4bf5b9b86ba4946a7493&ei=25
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Will it also be criminal under the UCMJ?  If so, DIs won't be able to talk to recruits. :silly:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
So I can perpetrate a fraud by legally misrepresenting myself as something I'm not, based on no facts, evidence, or science, and punish anyone legally for refusing to engage in my delusional fantasies?

And why is it that only they get this special privilege? Why can't I claim to be any race, age, species, or marital status I wish, or declare the extent of my property and territory regardless of legal documentation, or for that matter claim to be an ambassador of an alien race, with my home as my embassy, and have to obey no laws or pay no taxes?

Why is there no 14th Amendment equality on this?

Maybe we should apologize to the Sovereign Citizens movement for their unequal treatment under the 'law', or any low level grifter for that matter for scamming old ladies out of their retirement funds.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

Millennials are shaping up to be the worst generation ever.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It's called taking civilization "back to the year zero" -- where the concepts of male/female no longer exist, where one can be any "gender" one proclaims, and where the concepts of the law are turned upside down to criminally punish one who "misgenders" ...

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
How the heck are you supposed to know what to call them?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline The_Reader_David

Fortunately, we still have the First Amendment (one of that list of "things you idiots don't get to vote on" as Kevin Williamson described the Bill of Rights). 
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline DB

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Isn't misgendering what Lorena Bobbitt did to her husband :whistle:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Misgendering is not a crime. However, a survey done by Redfield & Wilton Strategies for Newsweek found that 44% of millennials between the ages of 25 and 34 think that using incorrect pronouns to refer to a transgender person should be a crime.

Maybe the "incorrect" pronoun is the one they weren't born with...    :pondering:

Offline Kamaji

Fortunately, we still have the First Amendment (one of that list of "things you idiots don't get to vote on" as Kevin Williamson described the Bill of Rights). 

:thumbsup: