Author Topic: Does the U.S. Military Really Have a Recruiting Problem?  (Read 159 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Does the U.S. Military Really Have a Recruiting Problem?
« on: July 15, 2023, 12:13:32 pm »
Does the U.S. Military Really Have a Recruiting Problem?
Story by Maya Carlin • Yesterday 2:13 PM

Last month, the U.S. Army celebrated the 50th anniversary of its all-volunteer force. In 1973, President Richard Nixon revealed that the military would no longer fill its ranks with draftees, but only with those who choose to serve. For half a century, this system has worked.

However, a recent House Armed Services Committee hearing revealed that all service branches are expected to miss their annual recruiting goal by thousands. These results do not bode well for the U.S. military’s ability to conduct large missions in future wars. In fact, the Army had to cut its active-duty end-strength this year by 10,000 troops because it missed its recruiting goal by 25%. 

While the most recent figures are sobering, U.S. military recruitment has been on a downward trajectory for awhile. The last big year for recruitment occurred in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks. The Department of Defense marked an 8% increase following Sept. 11, 2001, with roughly 181,500 Americans enlisting. Other than the beginning of the War on Terror, the military has not seen such a high surge in recruitments since the Second World War and the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Why Aren’t Eligible Americans Interested in Service?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/does-the-u-s-military-really-have-a-recruiting-problem/ar-AA1dSnKk?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=1127136b6ffa4f29a962e67c841df07a&ei=9
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson