Author Topic: Turbine ‘fatigue’ issue forced F-22 engine retrofit, Air Force says  (Read 135 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Turbine ‘fatigue’ issue forced F-22 engine retrofit, Air Force says
The Air Force worked with engine-maker Pratt & Whitney to fix the planes in the field and during regular maintenance over three years.
By   MICHAEL MARROW
on July 13, 2023 at 3:16 PM

WASHINGTON — The Air Force and engine builder Pratt & Whitney have completed a $21 million, fleet-wide retrofit effort for the F-22 Raptor’s dual F119 engines, after identifying what the Air Force told Breaking Defense was a fatigue issue with turbine blades that led to seven class A mishaps, nearly $23 million in damages but no operational interruption.

Brian Brackens, a spokesperson for the Air Force’s Life Cycle Management Center, said that the retrofit was prompted by “[a] low cycle fatigue defect in the 2nd stage Low Pressure Turbine Blades.”

Pratt F119 Engine Program Director Julie Ireland said in a statement that “
  • nce root causes had been identified, P&W and the USAF aligned on a corrective action plan, which involved implementing an interim over inspection of production 2nd Stage Turbine Blades while simultaneously making a change in the production process for this part. In pursuing both paths, the issue was eliminated in record time and the fleet was refreshed with inspected and/or updated blades.”

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/07/turbine-fatigue-issue-forced-f-22-engine-retrofit-air-force-says/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson