Author Topic: Human smuggler who rammed Coast Guard boat off California sentenced to 5 years in federal prison  (Read 133 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Human smuggler who rammed Coast Guard boat off California sentenced to 5 years in federal prison

Associated Press
Updated Wed, July 12, 2023 at 10:40 PM EDT·1 min read
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A boat captain who rammed a U.S. Coast Guard vessel off Southern California after smuggling a dozen people into the country was sentenced Wednesday to five years in federal prison.

Jesus Jeovanny Alcaraz-Valdez was sentenced in San Diego for the December 2022 incident by a judge who called his actions “extremely reckless and extremely troubling," the U.S. attorney's office said in a statement.

Alcaraz piloted a panga boat — a small, fishing-style vessel often used by human smugglers — to illegally bring an estimated 12 people into the United States from Mexico, prosecutors said.

The immigrants from Mexico and Guatemala paid up to $24,000 each for the trip, authorities said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/human-smuggler-rammed-coast-guard-005325376.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson