Author Topic: Asylum-seekers denounce treatment at Chicago shelter and deliver letter to mayor; alderman denies al  (Read 224 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Asylum-seekers denounce treatment at Chicago shelter and deliver letter to mayor; alderman denies allegations

Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune/Brian CassellaMore

Laura Rodríguez Presa, Chicago Tribune
Wed, July 12, 2023 at 10:56 PM EDT·7 min read
CHICAGO — It took a lot for Maura Falcon, an asylum-seeker and mother, to speak up about the mistreatment and concerns that she says she has been experiencing at the makeshift shelter where she has been living since arriving in Chicago from Venezuela. Initially, she said, she was just grateful to have a place to sleep and warm food, but three months later, things have changed.

At the volunteer-run shelter in Pilsen, asylum-seekers were promised safety and help to settle in the city in early May. But efforts stagnated and the shelter is troubled, say some of the migrants living there.

On Wednesday morning, Falcon and a group of mostly migrant mothers went to City Hall and attempted to deliver a handwritten letter to Mayor Brandon Johnson, in which they detailed their concerns and living conditions. Those included prohibiting children from drinking bottled water and eating fresh food donations; forcing asylum-seekers, including a family, out of the shelter without a place to go after alleged rule violations; and failing to provide guidance to find permanent housing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/asylum-seekers-denounce-treatment-chicago-025600138.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I'm no fan of Chicago politicians but in this case, I'm on their side.  If the illegals weren't forced at gun point to come to America, they need to shut their damn mouths and accept all the American generosity they are getting or go back to their own countries and bitch to those governments - if they don't fear for their lives by complaining to their government . 0380000
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 12:22:11 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online berdie

That's crazy. And annoys the heck out of me. 9999hair out0000

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Well she can always go back home to Venezuela if she doesn't like it.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Kamaji

Go back home, then.