Author Topic: Proposed marijuana waivers acknowledge blunt recruiting truths  (Read 173 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Proposed marijuana waivers acknowledge blunt recruiting truths
Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle want to remove a barrier to joining the U.S. military.
LAUREN C. WILLIAMS | JULY 11, 2023 09:16 PM ET
CONGRESS PERSONNEL ARMY NAVY MARINE CORPS AIR FORCE SPACE FORCE

As the military services struggle to meet recruiting goals, lawmakers in the divided House seem united on a proposed fix: relaxing the Pentagon’s policies on marijuana use.

“I do not believe we should be testing for cannabis [in] people who want to join the military,” Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., told the House Rules Committee during a hearing on Tuesday. “We should be thinking about cannabis more in terms of alcohol.”

Gaetz testified in support of his amendment that would ban drug testing for marijuana as a condition of enlistment or to become a commissioned officer.

“We are having a recruiting crisis,” he said, noting that many “people use cannabis under the color of state law.” So far, 23 states and Washington, D.C. have legalized the recreational use of marijuana.

https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2023/07/proposed-marijuana-waivers-acknowledge-blunt-recruiting-truths/388401/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Proposed marijuana waivers acknowledge blunt recruiting truths
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 05:46:21 pm »
My ship was in the Philippines in about 1974, when a young guy got high on marijuana and came back to the ship and took a stroll on the flight deck.  Now, on the sides of the flight deck are bomb slides where if there is a danger of bombs exploding, they can more easily be chucked into the oceans.  As this young guy found out, for a second or two, they are quite good at sending people in the same ocean if they should step on one and lose their balance.  Unfortunately, we were at the pier and instead of hitting the drink, he landed on his head on the pier.  Needless to say, his billet had to filled by someone new.  Yes, allowing drug users of any sort can get one, or a whole ship killed with one stupid act. :nono:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson