Author Topic: DeSantis’s stumbles have GOP mulling other Trump alternatives  (Read 240 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 DeSantis’s stumbles have GOP mulling other Trump alternatives
by Alexander Bolton - 07/09/23 5:00 PM ET

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’s weaker-than-expected campaign is prompting other Republicans, such as Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin and Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, to take a new look at running for president, GOP strategists say.

These Republicans argue that DeSantis, long seen as the strongest potential challenger in a GOP primary to former President Trump, has failed to establish himself as the clear alternative.

“I think his high point was right after the last election, when he was the brightest spot on an otherwise somewhat disappointing night for Republicans,” said GOP strategist Vin Weber, commenting on the big DeSantis reelection victory for governor in 2022.

“Since then, he hasn’t come on as strong. It looks to me people are looking at it because he’s not as strong as he was before,” added Weber, who advised Republican presidential campaigns in 1996, 2004 and 2008.

Weber argued Trump also looks vulnerable, despite his massive polling lead, because of his mounting legal problems, which could make the race look more attractive to Youngkin and Kemp.

“The fading of a guy who was never the front-runner is not in and of itself a good reason for someone to take a look at running,” Weber said. “They have to perceive vulnerability in the front-runner. I think those two factors play into it together.” 

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4086028-desantiss-stumbles-have-gop-mulling-other-trump-alternatives/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Re: DeSantis’s stumbles have GOP mulling other Trump alternatives
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 03:19:55 pm »
I know it’s early, but this guy is really running a dull campaign

His Mrs. is more interesting to watch and more dynamic
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 10:58:05 pm »
LMAO:
"I know it’s early, but this guy is really running a dull campaign"

He's "too early" with his presidential ambitions.
He should have backed Mr. Trump this time around.
And kept polishing his image in preparation for 2028 (whether Mr. Trump wins or not).

Now Mr. DeSantis is damaging himself instead, and some of "the damage" may hangover on him in 2028...

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 10:16:23 am »
LMAO:
"I know it’s early, but this guy is really running a dull campaign"

He's "too early" with his presidential ambitions.
He should have backed Mr. Trump this time around.
And kept polishing his image in preparation for 2028 (whether Mr. Trump wins or not).

Now Mr. DeSantis is damaging himself instead, and some of "the damage" may hangover on him in 2028...

Well, come 2028 we will have a whole list of brand new candidates, and hopefully by then people will have had it with Joe Biden or whatever democrat they replace him with in 2024
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 10:37:06 am »
Either DeSantis will figure it out, or he won't. There is no other realistic candidate out there who can challenge Trump. Most of the other candidates are campaigning for VP, or a place at the table after the election.

If DeSantis can't beat Trump in a primary, then he probably cannot win the general election, either, notwithstanding what the DeSantis supporters are saying.

A recent poll has DeSantis within 25 points in Iowa, better than he had been tracking, so maybe he is starting to see some momentum. There is a lot to like about RDS: military record, age, family man, good credentials and rock-solid conservative. The question is whether loyalty to Trump obscures all that or not. It could be a majority within the GOP are loyal to Trump, and no one can wrest the nomination from him. That will be tested, and it has always been a quixotic pursuit.

My big hope is that if DeSantis loses Iowa, he backs down and they make up, and we can get on with taking the White House back. The worst thing would be for DeSantis to lose Iowa and then keep fighting. If DeSantis can somehow take Iowa, then it will be a bloody battle until at least Super Tuesday and maybe beyond.