Author Topic: Why the end of affirmative action is good for black science students  (Read 381 times)

Online Kamaji

Why the end of affirmative action is good for black science students

By Naomi Schaefer Riley
July 8, 2023

“Corporate diversity in the crosshairs.” That was a typical headline after last week’s Supreme Court decision declaring the use of racial preferences in college admissions unconstitutional.

Panic has set in among the chattering classes about what will happen to “workplace diversity” as a result of the ruling.

Not only do observers fear that the court — whose majority opinion states that “eliminating racial discrimination means eliminating all of it” — will soon take aim at corporate DEI programs, but also that the pipeline of racial minorities into top-quality jobs will decline as a consequence.

In fact, the result may actually be the opposite — particularly in science and technology.

The “mismatch” problems created by racial preferences in admissions have been well documented.

Regardless of race, there are real consequences to admitting kids with significantly lower test scores and from less rigorous high schools and expecting them to perform in college as well as their more qualified peers.

In 1996 California voters passed Proposition 209, which prohibited the consideration of race in admissions to public universities.

The “hair on fire” crowd ran around yelling that this immediately reduced the number of black and Hispanic students admitted to UCLA and UC Berkeley, the most “selective” schools within the 10-campus UC system.

But what they didn’t acknowledge was that overall UC graduation rates improved among black and Hispanic kids.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/08/ending-affirmative-action-is-good-for-black-science-students/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Why the end of affirmative action is good for black science students
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 05:38:25 pm »
Affirmative action should be based upon factors such as lower than average, or lower than median, Census Zipcode Income Data, and if the person is the first in his or her immediate family to attend college.

The first family member to graduate college increases the likelihood that future generations of that family will also attend college.

My wife is a member of the fourth generation of her family to attend college.  The first to go college was her great grandfather who was an orphan taken in by a baptist family, and he went on to attend Brown University Divinity School to become a baptist minister.

I am a member of the first generation of my family to attend college.

In the wake of World War II, the G.I. Bill of Rights help grow the American middle class by send a new generation of Amiercans to college.

Basing college affirmative action decisions upon a lower than average, or lower than median, Census Zipcode Income Data, and being the first family member to attend college will help economically disadvantaged persons lift themselves, their families, and future generations into the middle class without regard to race.

But, we also need a Congressional investigation into why college tuitions have been rising faster then the pace of inflation for decades.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2023, 06:04:00 pm »
Affirmative action should be based upon factors such as lower than average, or lower than median, Census Zipcode Income Data, and if the person is the first in his or her immediate family to attend college.

The first family member to graduate college increases the likelihood that future generations of that family will also attend college.

My wife is a member of the fourth generation of her family to attend college.  The first to go college was her great grandfather who was an orphan taken in by a baptist family, and he went on to attend Brown University Divinity School to become a baptist minister.

I am a member of the first generation of my family to attend college.

In the wake of World War II, the G.I. Bill of Rights help grow the American middle class by send a new generation of Amiercans to college.

Basing college affirmative action decisions upon a lower than average, or lower than median, Census Zipcode Income Data, and being the first family member to attend college will help economically disadvantaged persons lift themselves, their families, and future generations into the middle class without regard to race.

But, we also need a Congressional investigation into why college tuitions have been rising faster then the pace of inflation for decades.

As to the last point:  student loans, particularly federally subsidized student loans - just like with anything else, if you take the pricing pressure out of the equation, the price exceeds inflation.

Online goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 01:47:32 am »
I try on other forums that have both liberals and conservatives to ask liberals what is the point of placing unqualified black students in colleges where they are far more likely to fail than less prestigious colleges where they have  a decent chance to succeed.
I rarely get an answer. Many start yapping about legacy students of whom I'm not very fond of either.
But at least it's not the government doing the dirty work.
Many libs believe simply attending an "elite" school is beneficial to blacks or other minorities who get in on AA. It's tough to convince them otherwise.