Exclusive Content > News

Some Crazy Things Runners Do

<< < (2/3) > >>

DB:

--- Quote from: bigheadfred on July 17, 2023, 12:39:57 am ---Back in my running days the most I ran was 15 miles. I would normally do 5 days of 5-6 miles per day on a flat (quarter mile) track. Running around a flat track might sound boring, but singing ABBA songs in my head pulled me through.

--- End quote ---

Does that leave mental scars?

bigheadfred:

--- Quote from: DB on July 17, 2023, 12:44:58 am ---Does that leave mental scars?

--- End quote ---

No not really. It was a crazy thing this runner did.

Sighlass:
I (as a kid 14-15 y/o) did a 20 mile walk/run. The next morning was interesting, I was so sore. At one time as a Senior I did an under 5 minute mile, not sure I can do the mile now without a limp towards the end.

PeteS in CA:
I'd be happy to be able to do 15 minute miles in a 5K or 10K!

Last weekend a FB friend in the running community did one of the distances in this event, https://utmb.world . Just combine in your mind Europe, Mont Blanc, and trail running. This is the elevation profile for the 100 mile distance (note that the height scale is in meters, so the start is at ~3300 feet):

Last weekend I did a 5K, "just" a 5K. Wellllll, I didn't look closely enough at the elevation profile. I can walk a flattish 5K in 55-60 minutes. That 5K was so hilly that I had to throw time at it to be able to finish it. It took me an extra 40-45 minutes. There's a thing called "Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness" that affects many/most people. Muscle soreness from a workout is delayed on the order of a day. I'm one who suffers/enjoys DOMS, and as I expected, I started feeling all that climbing - ascent and descent - the following day. What I didn't expect was that it would be about full intensity for 3 days. I was walking a little funny for those days.

Idiot:

--- Quote from: PeteS in CA on September 10, 2023, 01:00:40 am ---I'd be happy to be able to do 15 minute miles in a 5K or 10K!

Last weekend a FB friend in the running community did one of the distances in this event, https://utmb.world . Just combine in your mind Europe, Mont Blanc, and trail running. This is the elevation profile for the 100 mile distance (note that the height scale is in meters, so the start is at ~3300 feet):

Last weekend I did a 5K, "just" a 5K. Wellllll, I didn't look closely enough at the elevation profile. I can walk a flattish 5K in 55-60 minutes. That 5K was so hilly that I had to throw time at it to be able to finish it. It took me an extra 40-45 minutes. There's a thing called "Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness" that affects many/most people. Muscle soreness from a workout is delayed on the order of a day. I'm one who suffers/enjoys DOMS, and as I expected, I started feeling all that climbing - ascent and descent - the following day. What I didn't expect was that it would be about full intensity for 3 days. I was walking a little funny for those days.

--- End quote ---
Shoot, I'd be happy to be able to run/jog again.  After knee surgery I'm left to just walking.  I used to love to run, there is nothing better than a runners high.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version