Author Topic: Honoring Frederick Douglass On The Fourth Of July Just Makes Sense  (Read 389 times)

Offline Kamaji

Honoring Frederick Douglass On The Fourth Of July Just Makes Sense

Frederick Douglass shows us that while America has dark periods, those times only come when we fail to live out our nation’s highest ideals.

By: J. Antonio Juarez
July 04, 2023

While Frederick Douglass is obviously not a Founding Father, his life embodied our nation’s highest ideals, and his speeches were delivered to promote these values. And on this day — the day we commemorate the inception of our nation with the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 — Douglass is one man that deserves to be associated with the Fourth of July.

From Slave to Honored Orator
Born a slave in 1818 in Maryland with the given name Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey, Douglass was a strong-willed and intelligent man who, in spite of the laws at the time, learned to read and write.

In 1838, he escaped and eventually made his way to New Bedford, Massachusetts, where he labored and was a lay preacher. Later, he became involved in the abolitionist movement, where he met William Lloyd Garrison, who took Douglass under his wing for a time.

As Douglass’s orator skills grew, so did his fame. However, Douglass and Garrison did not see eye to eye on the issue of slavery, and eventually the two parted ways.

Douglass founded his own abolitionist newspaper called “The North Star” and would go on to become the major force in the movement to abolish slavery in America — even going so far as to meet with and advise Abraham Lincoln and help recruit black soldiers for the Union army.

His earlier views were obviously denunciatory of slavery and the nation that hypocritically allowed it at its founding and promoted it with the 1850 Fugitive Slave Act. However, Douglass did not ultimately accept Garrison’s doctrine that the U.S. Constitution was an inherently pro-slavery document. Instead, he came to appreciate the significance of America’s Founding Fathers and the “self-evident truths” with which they shaped a new nation.

In time he learned to see that when it came to the grave injustices endured by his fellow countryman, it was not the principles that were lacking but the courage of individual Americans to live those principles out.

Thus in 1852, Douglass gave one of his most famous speeches, titled “What to the Slave is the Fourth of July?” Here, he laid out in stirring detail how it was a “slander upon [the framers’ memory” to call the Constitution a pro-slavery document. He went on to say that the Founding Fathers were “brave” and “great” men but that:

Their solid manhood stands out the more as we contrast it with these degenerate times. How circumspect, exact and proportionate were all their movements! How unlike the politicians of an hour! Their statesmanship looked beyond the passing moment, and stretched away in strength into the distant future. They seized upon eternal principles, and set a glorious example in their defense. Mark them!

Interestingly enough, many of today’s racial grievance initiatives like Black Lives Matter or those who believe America’s founding and its founders were racist, patriarchal, or any of the other jaundiced shibboleths used by the left, will sometimes cite this speech as proof that racism is built into America’s DNA. This is a belief typical of those who have been educated (or conditioned) to filter every aspect of life through the lens of race, class, and sex while harboring a self-imposed sense of alienation from America.

However, as Peter C. Meyers of the Heritage Foundation once noted, it is a belief that can only be held by those who have not read Douglass’s speech in context and in its entirety.

Source:  https://thefederalist.com/2023/07/04/honoring-frederick-douglass-on-the-fourth-of-july-just-makes-sense/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Honoring Frederick Douglass On The Fourth Of July Just Makes Sense
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 09:15:46 pm »
I disagree.

He WAS as fine an example of humanity  as you are ever likely  to meet,but he was NOT a founding father.

And,there is nothing stopping people from celebrating his life on his birthday if they choose to do so.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 09:36:22 pm »
Our Independence Day celebrations are about 1776 and the American Revolution. As Douglass was not part of that, any tribute to him is for another time - perhaps Black History Month.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 09:43:06 pm »
Our Independence Day celebrations are about 1776 and the American Revolution. As Douglass was not part of that, any tribute to him is for another time - perhaps Black History Month.

@mountaineer

I could easily get behind a day for him during Black History Month.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 10:51:01 pm »
SneakyPete wrote:
"I disagree.
He WAS as fine an example of humanity  as you are ever likely  to meet,but he was NOT a founding father."

Absolutely correct.

Frederick Douglass had NOTHING TO DO with what happened on the 4th of July back in 1776, and he SHOULD NOT be "honored" on this day.

The 4th is -- and I'm going to say it bluntly and plainly -- is a WHITE holiday, celebrating the culmination of Enlightenment ideas in regarding human freedom and governance. The document that was signed on this date, was signed by white MEN whose heritage was from Western Europe.

Blacks, Hispanics (of which there were far fewer at the time) and Asians had nothing to do with it. If such folks who are Americans wish to join in the festivities of this day, they are welcome.

But they should know from whence the freedom they enjoy here today came, and who secured those freedoms.

Aside:
Instead of that stupid "Juneteenth", I would rather see Douglass' birthday recognized, as marking a REAL contribution by someone black to American history...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 11:15:24 pm »
SneakyPete wrote:
"I disagree.
He WAS as fine an example of humanity  as you are ever likely  to meet,but he was NOT a founding father."

Absolutely correct.

Frederick Douglass had NOTHING TO DO with what happened on the 4th of July back in 1776, and he SHOULD NOT be "honored" on this day.

The 4th is -- and I'm going to say it bluntly and plainly -- is a WHITE holiday, celebrating the culmination of Enlightenment ideas in regarding human freedom and governance. The document that was signed on this date, was signed by white MEN whose heritage was from Western Europe.

Blacks, Hispanics (of which there were far fewer at the time) and Asians had nothing to do with it.  t

Nope,NOT true. There were not only free blacks living in Jamestown,but the very first slave-owner in America's second English-speaking colony (Look up "The Lost Colony" if you want to learn about the first one).

There were also Chinese,French,American Indians,and pretty much every other version of humanity living in America before the Declaration of Independence was even thought of.

BTW,the first slave owner in the English-Speaking  free world came to what was called "America" as an indentured servant. His passage and other expenses were paid off by whoever took him in as an
"Indentured Servant". The deal was he had to work off his debt to the man that paid his way to America,and then he would be given a land grant of his own farm,and be able to get his own indentured servant to help him establish his farm.

IIRC,he died as a wealthy man living in what is called Maryland today. He has a horse farm there,and was raising and selling racing horses as well as work horses.

Now,if you want to claim that the vast majority of people living in the New World at that time were white and British,you would be correct.

BTW,IIRC,there were also several Spanish outposts in Florida at that time. The Spanish were exploiting the HELL out of South America,and needed ports in Florida to replenish their ships for the long sail back to Spain. 

« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 11:17:38 pm by sneakypete »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 11:21:57 pm »

Aside:
Instead of that stupid "Juneteenth", I would rather see Douglass' birthday recognized, as marking a REAL contribution by someone black to American history...

That's why you won't see Douglass's birthday recognized. It wouldn't be divisive like recognizing "Juneteenth" is meant to be
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy