Author Topic: Senate rankings: five seats most likely to flip  (Read 371 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate rankings: five seats most likely to flip
« on: July 03, 2023, 01:17:18 pm »
 Senate rankings: five seats most likely to flip
by Al Weaver - 07/03/23 6:00 AM ET

The 2024 battle for the Senate started with a bang earlier this year and has not let up, as candidates in top races continue to roll out their campaigns and incumbents scratch and claw to win reelection. Their efforts will determine who will control the upper chamber for the next two years.

Democrats are trying to play defense in a number of red-leaning states to hold on to their one-seat majority, while Republicans fight recruiting battles in several states to give them the best shot at winning a majority.

While it is too early to tell which side’s maneuvering will pay off, here’s a midsummer rundown of the five Senate seats most likely to flip next year.
West Virginia

The top spot in these rankings remains unchanged as Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) faces a true uphill battle to retain his seat and secure a third full term in the Senate.

Republicans have been licking their chops at the possibility of unseating Manchin and, unlike in 2018, they seem to have their best candidate in place to do just that in West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice (R). An East Carolina University (ECU) survey released in late May shows Justice leading the incumbent centrist Democrat by more than 20 percentage points.

In order for Justice to make it that far, he must overcome a potentially tricky challenge against Rep. Alex Mooney (R-W.Va.), who is backed by conservative forces. The ECU poll also shows Justice with a 40-point lead over Mooney, though some of that advantage is owed to his massive name ID.

Facing political challenges back home, Manchin has been on an offensive against President Biden’s spate of nominations in recent months, having said that he will oppose all his Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) nominees and voted against multiple judicial selections in recent weeks. He also opposed Biden’s choice of top economic adviser and is likely to oppose Julie Su’s nomination to lead the Department of Labor, if she ever comes up for a vote on the floor.

Allies, however, say this isn’t anything unusual and that it’s just how he operates.

“The recent opposition is just who he normally is. He reviews all nominees the same way,” said Jon Kott, a former Manchin spokesperson, who noted what Manchin used to tell him about how he considers nominees. “He’d say, ‘I look at them and say: Are they good for the state of West Virginia and the good of the country?’”

“I just think it’s getting more scrutiny because it’s the political season,” Kott added.

Of course, Manchin has yet to announce whether he’ll even seek reelection, with a decision expected in December or shortly before the January filing deadline, as he continues to flirt with a third-party presidential bid.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4076463-senate-rankings-five-seats-most-likely-to-flip/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Re: Senate rankings: five seats most likely to flip
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 01:20:00 pm »
These COULD flip. As long as the Republicans running aren’t Trump endorsed

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 01:28:37 pm »

Or if McConnell doesn't decide to torpedo good nominees that HE doesn't personally like.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 10:34:25 pm »

@LMAO

LOL! Trump lives rent-free in your head 24/7,doesn't he?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 10:39:32 pm »
@LMAO

LOL! Trump lives rent-free in your head 24/7,doesn't he?

Just don’t wanna repeat of what happened in the 2022 midterms. Let me guess, you believe it was all voter fraud… Lol.

The fact is, outside of very red states and districts, Trump is an election loser. Whether you accept that or not is up to you. I just simply choose to accept reality.

But don’t you worry. Those Trump endorsed candidates will win their primaries because you’re gonna get help from leftists groups to nominate them so they can go on and lose the general election

« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 10:46:35 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 11:03:03 pm »
Flip or Flop.  It is way to early to even be talking this shit.   But whatevers.  The heads got to talk.

Wake me when it is over.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 11:13:36 pm »
Flip or Flop.  It is way to early to even be talking this shit.   But whatevers.  The heads got to talk.

Wake me when it is over.

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 01:47:15 am »
Justice is an odd case. Elected governor as a Democrat; switched to Republican within a year, as I recall. Acted like Trump's best bud. His conservatism is something he dons, when expedient.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org