Author Topic: Let's Not Forget It Was Mitch McConnell Who Helped Donald Trump With His Historic SCOTUS Appointment  (Read 127 times)

Offline Kamaji

Let's Not Forget It Was Mitch McConnell Who Helped Donald Trump With His Historic SCOTUS Appointments

By Duke
July 01, 2023

Welcome to the first day of July, and I’m already reaching into my first unpopular opinion of the month grab bag. I know this might not be surprising to some of you but I feel it’s important that it be pointed out and actually expanded upon from an earlier article here at RedState.

This has to do with some interesting subjects that have been in the news lately, namely the recent Supreme Court of the United States decisions, Donald Trump, and the ghost of Roe v. Wade, plus Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Earlier on Saturday, colleague Mike Miller wrote right here Megyn Kelly Calls SCOTUS Finale ‘Spectacular Day for Donald Trump’—which I highly suggest you check out, right after reading this post. Here is a brief excerpt.

So, here’s the rest of the story.

Trump deserves credit for deferring to the conservative Federalist Society for a list of potential nominees.

In addition, love him or hate him, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell also deserves credit, for standing steadfast in 2016 against then-President Barack Obama’s lame-duck SCOTUS nomination of the disgraceful Merrick Garland, and in November 2020, quickly pushing Trump nominee Amy Coney Barrett through the confirmation process.

My point: Yes, Trump deserves the majority of the credit, but without wisely listening to the Federalist Society and McConnell doing his thing — twice — the high court’s makeup would likely be far different.

Mike correctly points out that Donald Trump deserves heaps of credit for keeping to one of his 2016 campaign promises and using a list of judicial nominees compiled by an organization that favors judges actually reading the Constitution and understanding it. Trump stuck by his guns on this and accomplished the rare feat of getting three Supreme Court judges through during his first four years.

While Mike touched on McConnell’s role, that reminded me of another article I read last year after SCOTUS bagged Roe by another colleague of mine. Last year, Streiff wrote this after Roe v. Wade bit the dust.

Love Him or Hate Him, Mitch McConnell Was the Key Man In Getting Rid of the National Shame of Roe and Casey…

Source:  https://redstate.com/tladuke/2023/07/01/lets-not-forget-it-was-mitch-mcconnell-who-helped-donald-trump-with-his-historic-scotus-appointments-n770330

Offline Kamaji

It's nice of the author to play the "Kiss the Orange Ring" game, but the fact of the matter is, the bulk of the credit goes to the Federalist Society and Mitch McConnell.  Trump gets credit - as the quoted article says - for deferring to the Federalist Society - but that simply gives him credit for being a rubber stamp.