Author Topic: House Republicans are pushing to impeach Mayorkas. Legal experts say it’s not so simple  (Read 302 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House Republicans are pushing to impeach Mayorkas. Legal experts say it’s not so simple
Jennie Taer

House Republicans’ impeachment push against Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas may lack sufficient evidence of “high crimes and misdemeanors,” according to legal experts who spoke with the Daily Caller News Foundation.

Several House Republicans have filed articles of impeachment against Mayorkas over his handling of the southern border, where federal authorities have seen a surge in illegal migrants under his leadership of DHS, while others are awaiting the findings of a weeks-long investigation being conducted by House Homeland Security Chairman Mark Green.  While legal experts say Mayorkas’ management of DHS may be a target of political criticism, they believe Republicans may have difficulty arguing Mayorkas’ conduct sufficiently constitutes grounds for impeachment.

“I don’t see any impeachable high crimes and misdemeanors,” Alan Dershowitz, an attorney and Harvard Law professor, told the DCNF.

Former Rep. Bob Barr, an attorney and a Republican who served as House manager during the impeachment trial of President Bill Clinton, told the DCNF that Republicans in the House seem to be targeting Mayorkas for “incompetence.”

“But incompetence is neither a high crime nor a misdemeanor. If we start impeaching Executive branch officials for incompetence, we would be extremely busy during administrations of both parties,” Barr said.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/06/30/house-republicans-are-pushing-to-impeach-mayorkas-legal-experts-say-its-not-so-simple-1373407/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Impeachment is a political tool, and is available to remove an officer for monumental incompetence.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Impeachment is a political tool, and is available to remove an officer for monumental incompetence.

:yowsa: And a high crime or a misdemeanor is whatever a majority in the house says it is.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

Yes.  However, the GOP seems to be dragging their feet on bringing charges of impeachment against anyone.  It's beyond frustrating and it indicates to me that the GOP is still not unified.  That's a huge problem.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Yes.  However, the GOP seems to be dragging their feet on bringing charges of impeachment against anyone.  It's beyond frustrating and it indicates to me that the GOP is still not unified.  That's a huge problem.

You have to have a clear purpose and goal if it is to make any sense, especially when we know there will never be a conviction.