Author Topic: Migrant crisis reverses decade-long enrollment decline at CPS, top mayoral aide says  (Read 147 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Migrant crisis reverses decade-long enrollment decline at CPS, top mayoral aide says

To ensure better educational outcomes for the new arrivals, the Johnson administration plans to open an “enrollment center” at Roberto Clemente Community Academy High School in time for the first day of school on Aug. 21.
By  Fran Spielman   Jun 29, 2023, 6:51pm EDT

After losing nearly 80,000 students over the last decade, the Chicago Public Schools finally added students during the last school year, thanks to the migrant crisis, a top mayoral aide said Thursday.

To ensure better educational outcomes for the new arrivals, deputy chief of staff Cristina Pacione-Zayas said Mayor Brandon Johnson’s administration plans to open an “enrollment center” at Roberto Clemente Community Academy High School, 1147 N. Western, in time for the first day of school on Aug. 21.

The center could be the first of several to help the children of asylum seekers and their parents make the difficult adjustment, she said.

“Last year … children were being enrolled in the middle of the school year. ... There wasn’t really sufficient time to plan more resources to be able to meet the needs. The objective of setting up this pilot enrollment center is really to get in front of that,” Pacione-Zayas told the Sun-Times.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-hall/2023/6/29/23778894/chicago-migrants-cps-school-enrollment-numbers-increase
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Will enrollment be segregated by country of origin so they feel safer? :thud:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson