Author Topic: SCOTUS Ruling on Biden's Student Loan Forgiveness...struck down  (Read 5143 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: SCOTUS Ruling on Biden's Student Loan Forgiveness
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2023, 07:48:28 pm »
I'd like to know what/who really spooked the hell out of Roberts.  @Bigun

I'd put my money on Obama (and whomever controls him)
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2023, 07:49:02 pm »
So does Trump get credit for this being a good Court, or not?  Because there are some pro-Trump people doing exactly that right now, though many of the same people were singing a different time as rece.tly as yesterday.  Do we respect the decisions they reach, or not?

In my opinion, far too many people look at a case and ask whether the result was fair, just, or right, instead of looking at the case and asking whether or not it was consistent with the applicable law.

Sometimes the law itself just sucks.  But good judges should enforce sucky laws just the same as they enforce well written ones.  Because deciding which laws are good, in which one suck, is not a determination entrusted to the judicial branch, but rather to the elected branches of our government.

The ONLY thing that matters to me is whether or not what they do is, to the letter, consistent with the United States Constitution as written. @Maj. Bill Martin
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2023, 08:05:37 pm »
The ONLY thing that matters to me is whether or not what they do is, to the letter, consistent with the United States Constitution as written. @Maj. Bill Martin

That may be.  But plenty others just seem more concerned with whether or not they rule the "right" way.

The other factor to consider is that the Constitution itself isn't perfect.  It's got some gaps and ambiguities in it that makes reasonable disagreement possible.  Of course, there is plenty of unreasonable disagreement as well.

Online Kamaji

Re: SCOTUS Ruling on Biden's Student Loan Forgiveness...struck down
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2023, 08:06:29 pm »
That may be.  But plenty others just seem more concerned with whether or not they rule the "right" way.

The other factor to consider is that the Constitution itself isn't perfect.  It's got some gaps and ambiguities in it that makes reasonable disagreement possible.  Of course, there is plenty of unreasonable disagreement as well.

And, there are plenty of things that, rightly or wrongly, are left up to the other two branches of the government.  The so-called "political question" doctrine, for example.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2023, 08:10:10 pm »
Yet another flipflop from Joe.
Biden, 2019: “But why should, in fact, these people out here pay for the fact that my kids had a significant debt, but they went to Yale and they went to Penn and they went – for incredibly high tuitions.”

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1674844381629513737
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2023, 08:11:07 pm »
Shannon Bream
@ShannonBream
·
3m
POTUS speaking on GOP opposition to student loan debt forgiveness program says they couldn’t stand the thought of helping the middle class.

Shannon Bream
@ShannonBream
·
1m
Replying to
@ShannonBream
POTUS says #SCOTUS got it wrong today on the forgiveness decision. Announces new plan to forgive debt under a different law.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2023, 08:12:35 pm »
Sahil Kapur
@sahilkapur
·
21s
Biden says he'll now invoke Higher Education Act to "provide student debt relief to as many borrowers as possible, as quickly as possible."

Ed Dept can use it to "compromise, waive or release loans under certain circumstances."

Says it's "legally sound" but will "take longer."
Support the USO

Online Kamaji

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2023, 08:14:59 pm »
Here we go again.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2023, 08:15:57 pm »
Jonathan Turley
@JonathanTurley
·
6m
...President Biden insists that "the hypocrisy is stunning" in failing to write off billions in loans. It is a curious objection in light of this decision. Biden himself (and figures like Speaker Nancy Pelosi) previously indicated that this effort would be unconstitutional.

Jonathan Turley
@JonathanTurley
·
2m
Replying to
@JonathanTurley
...The NEA is focused on the Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Teacher Loan Forgiveness or the Total and Permanent Disability Discharge and does not reach the full scope of the program.

Jonathan Turley
@JonathanTurley
·
1m
Replying to
@JonathanTurley
...The President just said that the Court "misinterpreted the Constitution." Yet, that also means the Justice Department previously misinterpreted the Constitution as did Pelosi and himself.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2023, 08:16:23 pm »
Philip Melanchthon Wegmann
@PhilipWegmann
·
2m
Biden: "I think the Court misinterpreted the Constitution."
Support the USO

Online mountaineer

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2023, 08:18:23 pm »
Jonathan Turley
@JonathanTurley

...The NEA is likely to be a dog that will not hunt for the President if he wants to replicate the current scope of the loan program. It is trying another novel means rather than going back to Congress as contemplated under Article I and Article II.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2023, 08:19:13 pm »
RNC Research
@RNCResearch
·
5h
“People think that the president of the United States has the power for [student loan] debt forgiveness. He does not.”   — Nancy Pelosi (July 2021)
Support the USO

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2023, 08:19:16 pm »
Biden is a Constitutional scholar so he knows. /s
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2023, 08:19:37 pm »
Sahil Kapur
@sahilkapur
·
21s
Biden says he'll now invoke Higher Education Act to "provide student debt relief to as many borrowers as possible, as quickly as possible."

Ed Dept can use it to "compromise, waive or release loans under certain circumstances."

Says it's "legally sound" but will "take longer."

What Joe Biden, and many others, proclaim "legally sound" should be taken with very large grains of salt.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2023, 08:20:43 pm »
Michael Stratford
@mstratford
🚨 NEWS: Biden admin will begin regulatory process to enact student debt relief under Higher Education Act, per notice posted today on Ed Dept's website:

https://www2.ed.gov/policy/highered/reg/hearulemaking/2023/negregpublichearingannouncement.pdf
3:59 PM · Jun 30, 2023

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online corbe

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2023, 08:21:38 pm »
   Since there is a lot of pretend in this Thread, IMHO the Court would be packed to the roof with better Judges than Barrett, Kavanaugh and Gorsch had we had 6 years of Pres. Cruz, by now.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2023, 08:33:13 pm »
   Since there is a lot of pretend in this Thread, IMHO the Court would be packed to the roof with better Judges than Barrett, Kavanaugh and Gorsch had we had 6 years of Pres. Cruz, by now.

I think the three of them are okay, though I think Gorsuch generally is the best of the three.  Like all textualists, though, he comes up with some results that folks just aren't going to like....

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2023, 08:36:31 pm »
Huh

Twitter is now requiring I log in to view these posts. Anyone else getting that?

Online Kamaji

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2023, 08:40:32 pm »
Huh

Twitter is now requiring I log in to view these posts. Anyone else getting that?

I was getting that as well.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2023, 09:10:51 pm »
Hillary Clinton
@HillaryClinton
The Supreme Court's recent rulings were sadly predictable for anyone who understands the hard-right agenda. Their goal has always been to install Justices whose job is to turn back the clock on our freedoms, on decades of constitutional decisions, and on our continuing struggle to “form a more perfect union” that includes all of us.

Let's vote out their political enablers and rein in the dark, subversive money that supports them in their quest to reverse a century of progress.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2023, 09:15:17 pm »
Hillary Clinton
@HillaryClinton
The Supreme Court's recent rulings were sadly predictable for anyone who understands the hard-right agenda. Their goal has always been to install Justices whose job is to turn back the clock on our freedoms, on decades of constitutional decisions, and on our continuing struggle to “form a more perfect union” that includes all of us.

Let's vote out their political enablers and rein in the dark, subversive money that supports them in their quest to reverse a century of progress.

Wow.  The lies and bullshit in that statement are unbelievable.