Author Topic: SCOTUS Ruling on Biden's Student Loan Forgiveness...struck down  (Read 5092 times)

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: SCOTUS Ruling on Biden's Student Loan Forgiveness
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2023, 04:35:36 pm »
And don't forget to thank Donald J. Trump on your way out!   :laugh:

He deserves much of the credit. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline The_Reader_David

Re: SCOTUS Ruling on Biden's Student Loan Forgiveness...struck down
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2023, 04:45:08 pm »
Exactly...no matter what you think of McConnell he did push these 3 Justices through the Senate.

And kept a seat from being filed with Merrick Garland.  The fact that the phrase "Associate Justice Merrick Garland" does nooto apply to realtity and only belongs to some alternate universe should be enough to earn McConnell the gratitude of all American conservatives.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2023, 04:47:37 pm »
And kept a seat from being filed with Merrick Garland.  The fact that the phrase "Associate Justice Merrick Garland" does nooto apply to realtity and only belongs to some alternate universe should be enough to earn McConnell the gratitude of all American conservatives.

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2023, 04:52:36 pm »
And don't forget to thank Donald J. Trump on your way out!   :laugh:

By the way, isn't this the exact same Supreme Court (other than switching out Breyer for KBJ...) that rejected all of Trump's election challenges in 2021?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 04:54:26 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2023, 04:59:19 pm »
From his predictably hard core supporters, sure.  Wouldn't expect anything else.

The acknowledgement and credit are coming from more than supporters of Trump.  Venture beyond anti-Trump bubbles and discover this for yourself.  Prepare to be surprised.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2023, 05:02:34 pm »
The acknowledgement and credit are coming from more than supporters of Trump.  Venture beyond anti-Trump bubbles and discover this for yourself.  Prepare to be surprised.

Simply McConnell following Reagan's advice:  one can get a lot accomplished if one does not care who gets the credit.

McConnell is responsible for the current Court and the justices on it; Trump is not, except in the almost meaningless sense that he rubber-stamped what he was told to do.  He can claim all the credit he wants; that doesn't make him resonsible for the makeup of the Court.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2023, 05:03:45 pm »
Simply McConnell following Reagan's advice:  one can get a lot accomplished if one does not care who gets the credit.

McConnell is responsible for the current Court and the justices on it; Trump is not, except in the almost meaningless sense that he rubber-stamped what he was told to do.  He can claim all the credit he wants; that doesn't make him resonsible for the makeup of the Court.

I agree it says absolutely nothing about the primaries.  It is an argument (in my opinion, the only one) for voting for him in the general election in 2024.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2023, 05:04:38 pm »
Now the real fight begins ......
Well, all the offended still have two months of hot summer to burn down neighborhoods, and the power grid is shaky enough with more demand than ever...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Kamaji

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2023, 05:05:01 pm »
I agree it says absolutely nothing about the primaries.  It is an argument (in my opinion, the only one) for voting for him in the general election in 2024.

What?  That he follows orders from McConnell?  That's a reason for voting for him?

The only reason I can see for voting for him would be if the GOP was stupid enough to nominate him for the general, because at that point, better a twit like Trump than an epic disaster like Biden or any other democrat.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2023, 05:07:29 pm »
What?  That he follows orders from McConnell?  That's a reason for voting for him?

The only reason I can see for voting for him would be if the GOP was stupid enough to nominate him for the general, because at that point, better a twit like Trump than an epic disaster like Biden or any other democrat.

Well, that's why I said it was an argument for voting for him in the "general election" in 2024....

Online Kamaji

« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2023, 05:09:15 pm »
Well, that's why I said it was an argument for voting for him in the "general election" in 2024....

Ok; fair enough.  Although I wouldn't really call it voting for him so much as voting against the democrat.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2023, 05:14:19 pm »
Poor little orange baby. Everybody always picks on him....

McConnell holding the Republican Senate firm to deny Garland's appointment in 2020, and to confirm those three nominees had nothing to do with Trump.  That was all McConnell.

The only reason he was able to hold the Senate GOP together was because he called in all the markers he had on people like Murkowski and other RINO senators.  Basically, he told the members of that caucus that he had always stuck by them, and this was the time for payback.

That's the reason why he always supports incumbents in the primaries.  He views loyalty to members of his caucus as a two-way street that gives him massive leverage when whenever he needs to go to the arm-twisting mat.
I  think it is more basic than that. If either side of the aisle lets the government go full-on totalitarian, one side or the other will be picking up rifles.

Keeping the swamp going is ultimately about balance.

Even small steps down the road to totalitarianism are just fine with a public that has been trained to forget yesterday among the use-and-discard life they lead, but too big of a step will rile even the most somnolent masses.

With a future of Democrat legislative power and likely the White House, too, the SCOTUS is all that's left to put the brakes on and avoid the sort of overstep that would have the peasants storming the Bastille.

Democrats around Power go into a feeding frenzy, so something had to be done.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2023, 06:43:24 pm »
That's the reason why he always supports incumbents in the primaries.  He views loyalty to members of his caucus as a two-way street that gives him massive leverage when whenever he needs to go to the arm-twisting mat.

Apparently he really liked Incumbent Mark Kelly in Arizona.  That might explain why he screwed Blake Masters over and handed Senate control over to Schumer.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2023, 06:50:31 pm »

:mauslaff:

Online Kamaji

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2023, 06:51:47 pm »
:mauslaff:

As long as the little orange bitch does what he's told by people who actually know how to lead, things get done.  I know you hate that fact, but it is a fact nonetheless.

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2023, 06:53:38 pm »
Apparently he really liked Incumbent Mark Kelly in Arizona.  That might explain why he screwed Blake Masters over and handed Senate control over to Schumer.

Top notch.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2023, 06:54:19 pm »
By the way, isn't this the exact same Supreme Court (other than switching out Breyer for KBJ...) that rejected all of Trump's election challenges in 2021?

And your point is....???

Stop pissing in the punch bowl.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2023, 06:56:28 pm »

Don't be a jerk.

If Donald Trump didn't beat Hillary Clinton, McConnell wouldn't even be in the argument.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Kamaji

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2023, 06:58:32 pm »
Don't be a jerk.

If Donald Trump didn't beat Hillary Clinton, McConnell wouldn't even be in the argument.

Wonderful.  That just means that Trump was only instrumentally useful - useful like a rubberstamp, nothing more, and that he is entitled to no more credit than a rubberstamp is for the content of the document on which it leaves its stamp.

Trump was not responsible for this Court's composition, McConnell was, along with the Federalist Society.  Trump was nothing more than a tool to be used by McConnell.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2023, 07:07:23 pm »

:yowsa: Including Texas vs Pennsylvania in which they had original jurisdiction!

Thus driving the final nail in the coffin of this once great republic!

It is also the very same court that just days ago ignored the plain language of the constitution in Moore vs Harper.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 07:13:20 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2023, 07:30:42 pm »
:yowsa: Including Texas vs Pennsylvania in which they had original jurisdiction!

It is also the very same court that just days ago ignored the plain language of the constitution in Moore vs Harper.

So does Trump get credit for this being a good Court, or not?  Because there are some pro-Trump people doing exactly that right now, though many of the same people were singing a different time as rece.tly as yesterday.  Do we respect the decisions they reach, or not?

In my opinion, far too many people look at a case and ask whether the result was fair, just, or right, instead of looking at the case and asking whether or not it was consistent with the applicable law.

Sometimes the law itself just sucks.  But good judges should enforce sucky laws just the same as they enforce well written ones.  Because deciding which laws are good, in which one suck, is not a determination entrusted to the judicial branch, but rather to the elected branches of our government.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 07:32:29 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Kamaji

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2023, 07:31:32 pm »
So does Trump get credit for this Court, or no?  Do we respect the decision they reach, or not?

In my opinion, far too many people look at a case and ask whether the result was fair, just, or right, instead of looking at the case and asking whether or not it was consistent with the applicable law.

So.eti.es the law just sucks.  But good judges should enforce sucky laws just the same as they enforce well written ones.  Because deciding which laws are good, in which one suck, is not a determination entrusted to the judicial branch, but rather to the elected branches of our government.

:thumbsup:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2023, 07:33:40 pm »
Wonderful.  That just means that Trump was only instrumentally useful - useful like a rubberstamp, nothing more, and that he is entitled to no more credit than a rubberstamp is for the content of the document on which it leaves its stamp.

Trump was not responsible for this Court's composition, McConnell was, along with the Federalist Society.  Trump was nothing more than a tool to be used by McConnell.

Nope.  it means that had if Hillary had won, today, the 2nd Amendment wouldn't exist 'legally' in its present form.

It means that the Court would be 6-3 DEM today.

Keep digging....   :laugh:

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2023, 07:35:54 pm »
As long as the little orange bitch does what he's told by people who actually know how to lead, things get done.  I know you hate that fact, but it is a fact nonetheless.

Your bitterness is showing, and it's ugly.  Just thought you'd like to know. 

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2023, 07:43:45 pm »

I'd like to know what/who really spooked the hell out of Roberts.  @Bigun