Author Topic: The unregulated body parts industry is booming—with heads going for $3K  (Read 597 times)

Offline Kamaji

The unregulated body parts industry is booming—with heads going for $3K

By Joshua Rhett Miller
June 28, 2023

A nationwide network of stolen body parts allegedly involving a Harvard Medical School morgue manager has revealed a thriving and macabre market for human remains, experts told The Post.

Federal prosecutors allege Cedric Lodge, 55, stole body parts including heads and brains that were donated for research at Harvard Medical School and intended for eventual cremation.

Lodge, who previously managed Harvard’s Anatomical Gift Program, and his wife, Denise allegedly sold them online to buyers from 2018 through last August.

Federal prosecutors said the “egregious” sprawling conspiracy also involved an Arkansas mortuary employee who sold body parts on Facebook for nearly $11,000 and a Massachusetts store owner who bought a human skull to create a “killer clown”-style doll she later shared on Instagram.

A body donated for science — be it to a university or other research facility — is often only used for particular parts; what remains may then be sold by a body-broker to sell to other facilities, collectors or, really, anyone.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/28/the-body-parts-industry-is-boomingwith-heads-going-for-2k/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Just one more thing added to the list of "Things I will never understand,and am grateful for it."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Just one more thing added to the list of "Things I will never understand,and am grateful for it."
There is a legitimate need for body parts, students study them in medical school, surgeons use them to practice procedures before cutting on the patient. This isn't the first time someone lined their pockets selling body parts to unsuspecting buyers. My wife used to work for a reconstructive plastic surgeon and had to procure hands and other parts for him to work on to insure he was as sharp as possible prior to the actual surgery. Interesting thing is the person she contacted for 'parts' Worked out of UCI medical school and was the perpetrator of the last big scandal over illicit body parts sales.

Many have never been told how their family members' bodies were used. UCI auditors accounted for 121 of the 441 cadavers donated to the Willed Body Program between January 1995 and the time the program was shut down temporarily in August 1999. Brown was hired to direct the program in May 1996.
(Brown was the name of the guy my wife dealt with legitimately but he also had a thriving black market business as you can see by how many bodies were unaccounted for in the audit)

About twenty years ago I was doing a biology lab remodel at Biola University and saw the donated body after student had finished with it(not pretty) taken out and the new donated cadaver brought in. Between my knowledge of the illegal sales of body parts and the use of medical cadavers I decided I would never donate my body to science. It makes no matter knowing that what was me was no longer in my body it just gives me the willies! **nononono*
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 05:01:45 am by GtHawk »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Someone else wants a Lambo... :whistle:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I'd gladly donate mine, lately i'm not using it.