Author Topic: Texas Pecan Farmers Say Growing Illegal Immigration Is Ravaging Farms Growing the State Nut  (Read 263 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Texas Pecan Farmers Say Growing Illegal Immigration Is Ravaging Farms Growing the State Nut
EVAN POELLINGER | JUNE 28, 2023

A group of pecan farmers in Texas are voicing their concerns about the dangerous situation fostered Biden Administration immigration policies along the U.S. southwest border. The farmers, some of whom have been farming the official Texas state nut on the border for generations, say that increased traffic by both illegal immigrants and cartels through their farmlands and in the vicinity of their residences has made their way of life increasingly difficult and hazardous.

In an interview with The Center Square, the farmers described how large groups of illegal immigrants have trekked past their home on a nightly basis, often leaving behind litter, discarded passports, and human feces in their wake.

Worse still, the farmers have also been forced to confront drug smugglers in the area, who have sometimes left behind hundreds of pounds of drugs like marijuana stashed in their orchards. One farmer, who called the local sheriff to report a drug stash on his property, received a note attached to an abandoned vehicle filled with marijuana warning “Do not try to stop us.”

Pecan farmers are far from the only members of Texas’ agricultural community who have been forced to contend with the increasingly unfettered tide of illegal migrants. In May, ranchers Marcus and Stephanie Canales spoke with Fox News about the problems they experienced from migrant traffic through their property, particularly the destruction of their fences by illegal migrants passing through the areas.

https://mrctv.org/blog/texas-pecan-farmers-say-growing-illegal-immigration-ravaging-farms-growing-state-nut
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I've a question for all you Texas Briefers...

I will freely admit I'm not up on Texas laws regarding the use of firearms.
But does not Texas permit the use of deadly force -- at least at night -- in order to defend the damaging of private property?

What are the details of this law (if it exists)?
Has anyone ever done so (use of deadly force under cover of darkness to prevent destruction of property)?
What were the consequences?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I've a question for all you Texas Briefers...

I will freely admit I'm not up on Texas laws regarding the use of firearms.
But does not Texas permit the use of deadly force -- at least at night -- in order to defend the damaging of private property?

What are the details of this law (if it exists)?
Has anyone ever done so (use of deadly force under cover of darkness to prevent destruction of property)?
What were the consequences?

Man Cleared for Killing Neighbor's Burglars

https://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=5278638&page=1

Texas grand jury won't indict man for protecting his neighbor's property.

June 30, 2008— -- A Texas man who shot and killed two men he believed to be burglarizing his neighbor's home won't be going to trial. A grand jury today failed to indict Joe Horn, a 61-year-old computer technician who lives in an affluent subdivision in Pasadena, Texas.

In the Lone Star state, where the six-gun tamed the frontier, shooting bad guys is a time-honored tradition, and Horn's case centered on a Texas state law based on the old idea that "a man's home is his castle." The "castle law" gives Texans unprecedented legal authority to use deadly force in their homes, vehicles and workplaces. And no longer do they have an obligation to retreat, if possible, before they shoot.

"I understand the concerns of some in the community regarding Mr. Horn's conduct," Harris County District Attorney Kenneth Magidson told reporters at the courthouse. "The use of deadly force is carefully limited in Texas law to certain circumstances. ... In this case, however, the grand jury concluded that Mr. Horn use of deadly force did not rise to a criminal offense."

'I'm Gonna Shoot!'Horn called 911 in November to report a burglary in broad daylight at the house next door.

"I've got a shotgun; you want me to stop him?" Horn asked the dispatcher.

"Nope. Don't do that," the dispatcher replied. "Ain't no property worth shooting somebody over, OK?"

Horn was clearly upset by the dispatcher's response.

"I'm not gonna let them get away with it," he said. "I can't take a chance getting killed over this, OK."

Despite the dispatcher's protects, Horn said, "I'm gonna shoot! I'm gonna shoot!"

The 911 dispatcher warned Horn to stay inside at least a dozen separate times, telling him, "An officer is coming out there. I don't want you to go outside that house."

Then Horn sounding angrier by the moment cited the new Texas law.

"OK, but I have a right to protect myself too, sir," he said. "And you understand that. And the laws have been changed in this country since September the first, and you know it and I know it."

Moments later, Horn saw two burglars leave his neighbor's house, one of them carrying a bag filled with cash and jewelry.

"I'm gonna kill him," Horn said."Stay in the house," the dispatcher said."They're getting away," Horn replied."That's all right," the dispatcher said. "Property's not worth killing someone over. OK?""---damn it," said Horn, who then defied the dispatcher.

"Well, here it goes, buddy, you hear the shotgun clicking, and I'm going," he said.

"Don't go outside," the dispatcher warned.

Self-Defense?Horn says he came out his front door, down his porch and confronted the two burglars. The next sounds heard on the 911 tape are Horn ordering the two men to stop & and then shooting them both.

"Move you're dead," he said, and fired his shotgun three times.

"Both suspects were shot in the back," Pasadena Police Captain A.H. "Bud" Corbett said. "Not at the same angle, but both suspects were hit in the back."

More at link.