Author Topic: Who can fly the Marine Corps’ Reaper drones?  (Read 112 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Who can fly the Marine Corps’ Reaper drones?
« on: June 27, 2023, 09:21:18 pm »
Who can fly the Marine Corps’ Reaper drones?
By Irene Loewenson
 Friday, Jun 23

It’s a question Gen. David Berger, the Marine commandant, posed in a training and education planning document released in January.

Under the heading “Issues Requiring Further Analysis,” Berger wrote, “MQ-9 Operators. Should the Marine Corps consider other options besides commissioned officers to become qualified as naval aviators?”

For now, the Marine Corps appears to lean toward “No.”

“Marine Corps aviation has a strong lineage dating back over 100 years that celebrates commissioned officers, warrant officers, and enlisted ranks alike,” Maj. Jay Hernandez, a spokesman for Marine aviation, wrote in a statement to Marine Corps Times. “Due to U.S. Code and the commitments required of the naval aviation pipeline, commissioned officers are the optimal choice in fulfilling naval aviator criteria.”

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2023/06/23/who-can-fly-the-marine-corps-reaper-drones/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson