Author Topic: San Francisco Bay Area grocery store takes drastic measures to deter rampant shoplifting  (Read 169 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

San Francisco Bay Area grocery store takes drastic measures to deter rampant shoplifting
Story by Jon Brown • Sunday

Agrocery store in the San Francisco Bay Area has installed metal emergency gates at its entrance in an attempt to deter rampant shoplifting.

A Safeway in Vallejo also shuttered one of its entrances, according to KPIX reporter Betty Yu, who tweeted an image of the safeguard, which sounds an alarm if a shoplifter attempts to leave.

The supermarket chain location, which is owned by Albertsons Companies, joins other locations in the San Francisco area that have taken similar measures in recent years amid the city's rise in thefts.

SAN FRANCISCO SAFEWAY ADDING BARRIERS TO CURTAIL SHOPLIFTERS

The Bay Area, which has seen property crime rise 10.4% since last year, has also been afflicted with a spike in smash-and-grab robberies, where shoplifters armed with bats and other weapons make off with thousands in merchandise from high-end stores.

The gates are part of "long-planned security improvements" for the store, a Safeway spokesperson told FOX Business in 2021.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/san-francisco-bay-area-grocery-store-takes-drastic-measures-to-deter-rampant-shoplifting/ar-AA1d0Zxp?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=77b32b24833c4aa6a62a59a6d84ef0b3&ei=28
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson