Author Topic: Navy Lays Groundwork for Larger, More Lethal Next-Gen Destroyer  (Read 231 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy Lays Groundwork for Larger, More Lethal Next-Gen Destroyer
6/23/2023
By Josh Luckenbaugh   
 n

The Navy has begun development of a future guided missile destroyer that will bring increased firepower and efficiency to the fleet, even as the service is still in the midst of constructing Flight III of its Arleigh Burke-class large surface combatants.

While the Navy considers the Arleigh Burke-class Flight III destroyer the world’s most capable surface combatant platform, the service “has maximized the space, weight, power and cooling capabilities” through 30 years of upgrades to the hull form. Hence, the need for the Navy’s Next-Generation Large Surface Combatant program, or DDG(X), said a Navy spokesperson in an email.

The first of the Arleigh Burke-class ships was commissioned on July 4, 1991, and the destroyer since then has gone through several evolutions. The latest, Flight III, is centered around the Raytheon-made SPY-6 air and missile defense radar, which enables the ship to “simultaneously perform” anti-air warfare and ballistic missile defense and “satisfies the Navy’s critical need for an enhanced surface combatant Integrated Air and Missile Defense capability,” a service fact file said.

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2023/6/23/navy-lays-groundwork-for-larger-more-lethal-next-gen-destroyer
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Navy Lays Groundwork for Larger, More Lethal Next-Gen Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 02:22:34 pm »
Didn't they say almost the same thing about the Zumwalt class?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: Navy Lays Groundwork for Larger, More Lethal Next-Gen Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 03:09:42 pm »
While the military has produced some weapons systems that have lasted for decades, being upgraded along the way, many reach a wall where they cannot be reasonably upgraded further. It looks like the Arleigh Burkes have reached that point with the power and cooling systems that could fit within the displacement. So while DDGs of the class will served for years to come, the need is real and the design and build process needs to be started before those later ships of the class get long-in-the-tooth.

What the surface navy has done poorly in recent decades is actually putting a new design into the water that fills a needed role and isn't a POS (e.g. the failed Zumwalt class and the two failed LCS classes).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.