Author Topic: Temperature Ranges of States - AMAZING!  (Read 1604 times)

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Temperature Ranges of States - AMAZING!
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2023, 03:24:12 pm »
Occasionally gets to 105+ F (real temp; not Heat Index temp) and -10 F (real temp; not Wind Chill temp) in Eastern Mass.

I'm allegedly in USDA Zone 6, but I perfer plants hardy to at least USDA Zone 4, because there is nothing average about weather.

All you need is one unusually bad cold snap (Polar Vortex; Montreal Express) in Winter to kill of plant and animal life that is not native to the area.

A few Winters ago, a bad cold snap took care of our Asian Long-Horned Beetle infestation.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2023, 03:42:48 pm »
All of our roses were winter killed. All of our neighbors roses did too. It is bit strange since we had more snow and the coldest it got was -15 +/-. We have had winters with less snow and double the negative temp and the roses came through.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2023, 08:14:27 pm »
All of our roses were winter killed. All of our neighbors roses did too. It is bit strange since we had more snow and the coldest it got was -15 +/-. We have had winters with less snow and double the negative temp and the roses came through.

I like pink wild rose... And it likes it here... I intend to plant them under all my windows. Because the roof can shed ice on em and they don't care.

Offline berdie

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2023, 08:36:21 pm »
I love wild, ramblin' roses as well @roamer_1 . I have a good stand of them, but they only bloom every 3/4 years.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2023, 11:03:33 pm »
I love wild, ramblin' roses as well @roamer_1 . I have a good stand of them, but they only bloom every 3/4 years.

The pink are my favorite flower and a signature of mine when I was a landscaper, @berdie .

That, and honeysuckle, which is a bush up in here... Not a vine... very hardy, grows about 6 feet high and around. beautiful, delicate pink or yellow flowers mid spring. Again, I like the pink - Although there is a hybrid purple one I have seen... If I ever see that again, I'll own it.

Purple Lilacs...

Outside of that, the many and varied versions of spirea: Bridal wreath, snowball, froebeli, little princess, gumball, and lime... And on and on...

You might have guessed - I'm a bush guy.  happy77

I like wildflowers most, bleeding hearts, especially the frilly ones... day lillies in big beds... Snapdragons, columbine, daffodils, iris (especially the frilly ones), and any kind of rock garden flower. Moss and tiny flowers chocked between rock seams makes for a beautiful wall...

And tulips (especially the frilly ones)... in strict rows... Because I am Dutch and it's the law.  :police:

I have a great love of a well planted yard.  :beer:

Offline berdie

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2023, 08:00:38 pm »
The pink are my favorite flower and a signature of mine when I was a landscaper, @berdie .

That, and honeysuckle, which is a bush up in here... Not a vine... very hardy, grows about 6 feet high and around. beautiful, delicate pink or yellow flowers mid spring. Again, I like the pink - Although there is a hybrid purple one I have seen... If I ever see that again, I'll own it.

Purple Lilacs...

Outside of that, the many and varied versions of spirea: Bridal wreath, snowball, froebeli, little princess, gumball, and lime... And on and on...

You might have guessed - I'm a bush guy.  happy77

I like wildflowers most, bleeding hearts, especially the frilly ones... day lillies in big beds... Snapdragons, columbine, daffodils, iris (especially the frilly ones), and any kind of rock garden flower. Moss and tiny flowers chocked between rock seams makes for a beautiful wall...

And tulips (especially the frilly ones)... in strict rows... Because I am Dutch and it's the law.  :police:

I have a great love of a well planted yard.  :beer:

I'll bet your yard is lovely, @roamer_1 . :laugh: It seems to me it would have a water color effect. At one time, I planted a lot of perennials and used to plant annuals every year. My yard was really pretty. But between water restrictions and not being able to care for things...about the only things that bloom are the perennials. I miss it as I do working in the yard. Heck, I only plant a small, early spring veggie garden these days.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2023, 10:26:21 pm »

I'll bet your yard is lovely, @roamer_1 . :laugh: It seems to me it would have a water color effect. At one time, I planted a lot of perennials and used to plant annuals every year. My yard was really pretty. But between water restrictions and not being able to care for things...about the only things that bloom are the perennials. I miss it as I do working in the yard. Heck, I only plant a small, early spring veggie garden these days.

*SIGH* Nope, @berdie ... not a single flower or bush is on this property. I had a little bed of marigolds by the front door, but the deer took em... Over all, nothing.

The problem is that the place ain't done. After the cabin was remodeled, and I recovered from that a bit, the next phase was going to be the porches - Imagine a redneck boy without a porch.  :crying:

Anyhow, I needed the front porch put on before I invested in trees and bushes in the front yard,  and a new septic system is slated for the front yard, and that particular problem is the same for the back porch, being necessarily added on before I could set the fire pit, and all the stuff for the back - to include the truck garden, because the back porch was to contain the outdoor kitchen, where the garden would be processed... So it all just went to lawn as a holding method.

Now I can't even keep up with that.

But that is fixin to change... I think I am letting go of the holler property, which is where my efforts were going. So in the next nearly two years, as I heal up from this go-around medically, I am going to set a brick patio out in the footprint where the front porch is going to go to preserve the space, and then I can work on the plantings that go around that... Which is a pretty big set of beds, actually.

Providing that I recover some, I'll need the work anyway... And between here and the ranch (fencing galore), and normal stuff like fetching hay and grain, I'll have plenty to trim the old carcass up with...

One way or the other, this summer is going to pass me by, and hunting season is in question... Prolly just road hunting, if that... And then all winter in PT... so next spring is likely when I can start it all moving.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 10:28:07 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline berdie

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2023, 10:35:52 pm »
*SIGH* Nope, @berdie ... not a single flower or bush is on this property. I had a little bed of marigolds by the front door, but the deer took em... Over all, nothing.

The problem is that the place ain't done. After the cabin was remodeled, and I recovered from that a bit, the next phase was going to be the porches - Imagine a redneck boy without a porch.  :crying:

Anyhow, I needed the front porch put on before I invested in trees and bushes in the front yard,  and a new septic system is slated for the front yard, and that particular problem is the same for the back porch, being necessarily added on before I could set the fire pit, and all the stuff for the back - to include the truck garden, because the back porch was to contain the outdoor kitchen, where the garden would be processed... So it all just went to lawn as a holding method.

Now I can't even keep up with that.

But that is fixin to change... I think I am letting go of the holler property, which is where my efforts were going. So in the next nearly two years, as I heal up from this go-around medically, I am going to set a brick patio out in the footprint where the front porch is going to go to preserve the space, and then I can work on the plantings that go around that... Which is a pretty big set of beds, actually.

Providing that I recover some, I'll need the work anyway... And between here and the ranch (fencing galore), and normal stuff like fetching hay and grain, I'll have plenty to trim the old carcass up with...

One way or the other, this summer is going to pass me by, and hunting season is in question... Prolly just road hunting, if that... And then all winter in PT... so next spring is likely when I can start it all moving.  :shrug:

@roamer_1 If anyone can get that all done and overcome the current problems...you can. :beer:

Online ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2023, 10:53:46 pm »
Back to the THREAD subject........

149.74 degrees average range of all 50 states, and the Climate Change Cult is ballistic over half a degree every forty years?

And they want Americans to throw $50 trillion dollars at "fixing" this non-problem?  The homeless veterans will just have to wait.

The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist