Author Topic: “Stick to Prescribed Messaging”: Mayo Clinic Suspends Professor for Comments on Trans-Athletes  (Read 348 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
“Stick to Prescribed Messaging”: Mayo Clinic Suspends Professor for Comments on Trans-Athletes

The Mayo Clinic College of Medicine has joined the growing crackdown on free speech in higher education after suspending Professor Michael Joyner for comments in a 2022 New York Times story. In the story, Joyner maintained that there are differences between biological males and females in sports that give advantages to certain trans-athletes. The school declared that Joyner was guilty of using “ideomatic language” and threatened his termination unless he refrains from public comments in the future without approval from the school.

Joyner’s told the Times that “you see the divergence immediately as the testosterone surges into the boys” and that these biological realities can produce “dramatic differences in performances.”Notably, that is the view of many athletic organizations. For example, track and field competitions recently adopted restrictions based on similar conclusions.

The faculty was not happy when Joyner was widely quoted for telling the Times that “there are social aspects to sport, but physiology and biology underpin it… testosterone is the 800-pound gorilla.”  As noted  by Inside Higher Ed, the comments were picked up by various other media outlets as part of the ongoing controversy involving swimmer Lia Thomas.

https://jonathanturley.org/2023/06/19/stick-to-prescribed-messaging-mayo-clinic-suspends-professor-for-comments-on-trans-athletes/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@rangerrebew

In the story, Joyner maintained that there are differences between biological males and females in sports that give advantages to certain trans-athletes.

Say WAT????

How long has that been going on,and has anyone told the Wimmins colleges back east?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I don't know why we're focused on this wokety woke woke stuff. Let's get back to MAGA.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The phrase "Prescribed Messaging" is very creepy.  Straight from George Orwell.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I can't even begin to express how disappointed I am at reading about this happening at the Mayo Clinic.

Sometimes you just automatically  expect better from some institutions.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

Apparently, physiology and medicine have absolutely nothing to do with one another.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org