Author Topic: Boeing to provide kits to convert anti-submarine torpedoes into high-altitude long-range glide weapo  (Read 119 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Boeing to provide kits to convert anti-submarine torpedoes into high-altitude long-range glide weapons
June 23, 2023

As the glide weapon for anti-submarine warfare (ASW) nears the water, it jettisons its wings and tail and takes on its role as a smart torpedo.
John Keller
Haawc 23 June 2023
WASHINGTON – Airborne weapons experts at the Boeing Co. are building launch equipment for flying torpedoes that can enable U.S. Navy aircraft to attack submerged enemy submarines from long ranges at high altitudes.

Officials of the Naval Sea Systems Command in Washington announced a $12 million contract last week to the Boeing Co. Defense, Space & Security segment in St. Louis for High Altitude Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Weapon Capability (HAAWC) Air Launch Accessory (ALA) equipment, as well as production, engineering, and hardware support.

The HAAWC ALA enables the Raytheon MK 54 lightweight torpedo carried aboard the Navy Boeing P-8A Poseidon long-range maritime patrol jet to glide through the air from altitudes as high as 30,000 feet -- essentially transforming the torpedo into a glide weapon that can attack enemy submerged submarines from long ranges.

https://www.militaryaerospace.com/sensors/article/14295460/longrange-torpedoes-glide-weapons
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson