Author Topic: The F-35 Is Really Three Stealth Warplanes  (Read 118 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The F-35 Is Really Three Stealth Warplanes
« on: June 22, 2023, 03:40:11 pm »
The F-35 Is Really Three Stealth Warplanes
Story by Maya Carlin • Yesterday 1:36 PM

The Joint Strike Fighter program was a collaborative project undertaken by the U.S. and partner nations to develop a multirole fighter aircraft. The U.S. had even more in mind, however, expecting the F-35 to fill gaps in each of its three services with airborne components: the Air Force, Marine Corps, and Navy.

As a result, the Lightning II comes in three variants. The A, B, and C models are all similar, but important distinctions allow them to meet the needs of their specific service.

Brief History
After a tense competition, Lockheed Martin was selected to develop its X-35 fighter, winning over Boeing’s X-32. Following this initial success, the program was plagued by delays and design struggles. Initial plans had the three variants sharing 70% of parts, but the final design ended up sharing only 25% of components. In the end, though, all three variants are highly capable fighters.

Specs & Capabilities
The Pratt & Whitney F135 engine is a marvel of modern engineering. While the Lightning II is not quite as powerful as the twin-engine F-22 Raptor, it still packs a punch with a top speed of Mach-1.6. Some of the biggest advances of the F-35 are in its complex suite of highly sophisticated sensors such as the AN/APG-81 Active Electronically Scanned Array radar, technology that allows the aircraft to detect, track, and engage targets at long ranges while synthesizing information and sharing it among platforms and combatants.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/the-f-35-is-really-three-stealth-warplanes/ar-AA1cR0Hz?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6ce03ecf033843f39e6c5981a54ed07b&ei=25
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson