Author Topic: Democrat-Led Bill Would Give Immigrants Instant Access to Federal Benefits  (Read 268 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Democrat-Led Bill Would Give Immigrants Instant Access to Federal Benefits

Madeline Leesman
June 19, 2023 11:15 AM

Last week, Democrats in the House and Senate introduced legislation that would give immigrants immediate access to many federal benefits instead of making them wait five years.

Legislation passed in 1996 requires that most immigrants to the United States wait five years after obtaining their immigration status before accessing Medicaid, food stamps and other federal benefits programs. Now, Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-WA), Rep. Tony Cárdenas (D-CA), and Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-HI) are pushing legislation, the Lifting Immigrant Families Through Benefits Access Restoration (or LIFT the BAR) Act, where the “xenophobic” five-year waiting period will no longer apply.

A press release from Jayapal’s office explained that in 2024, non-elderly immigrants will account for about 8 percent of the population, but will make up 31 percent of the non-elderly uninsured population.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/madelineleesman/2023/06/19/democrat-led-bill-would-give-immigrants-benefits-immediately-end-5-year-wait-n2624655
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

We need to ship newly arrived immigrants to Hawaii, Washington, and California to get those instant benefits.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
We need to ship newly arrived immigrants to Hawaii, Washington, and California to get those instant benefits.
HEY, WTF! We have to deal with enough of these cockroaches in California as it is, send them to DC, Delaware and where the other democrats live, but mostly DC. and how come you gave Oregon a pass, as I recall they started this sanctuary bullshit.

Oregon was the first state in the nation to pass a statewide law stopping state and local police and government from helping federal authorities with immigration enforcement (ORS 181A. 820 »). In the ensuing decades, the law was updated several times.