Author Topic: How Operation Rolling Thunder forever impacted military strategy  (Read 145 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

VIETNAM WAR
How Operation Rolling Thunder forever impacted military strategy
By
Jessica Evans
Updated on
Jun 21, 2023

Operation Rolling Thunder showed us the limitations of relying too heavily on technology in a war against guerilla fighters.

When you hear the phrase "Rolling Thunder," you might picture a big, booming storm. Or maybe you think of the advocacy group that aims to bring accountability for POWs and those MIA. But in the context of the Vietnam Conflict, Operation Rolling Thunder means something entirely different. It's a term from one of the most complicated and influential times in American history.

Even decades later, the Vietnam War remains a complex, multi-faceted conflict, affecting not only the course of global politics but the lives of millions. The conflict, deeply etched in the collective memory of Americans and Vietnamese alike, was a turning point in the strategic thinking of the United States military and had an enduring legacy.

What sparked the war?

After World War II, the world was busy picking up the pieces. In Vietnam, it was like a game of tug-of-war. The French, who'd called the shots for decades, waved goodbye in 1954. That's when a power struggle kicked off between North Vietnam, which fancied communism, and South Vietnam, leaning towards the West.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/history/understanding-operation-rolling-thunder/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson