Author Topic: 79 years later, deceased World War II vet’s dog tags delivered from France to Anderson  (Read 128 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
79 years later, deceased World War II vet’s dog tags delivered from France to Anderson
Military dog tags on the American flag. (Metro Creative Connection/TNS)
JUNE 21, 2023 KEN DE LA BASTIDE - THE HERALD BULLETIN

A story that began in 1944 with the downing of a B-17 bomber in France ended on a sunny afternoon 79 years later at Maplewood Cemetery.

About 100 people gathered Monday as the dog tags of Staff Sargent Jackson McGill were returned to his family.

The ceremony featured Denise James playing “Amazing Grace” on a bagpipe and the Daleville Honor Guard providing a rifle salute and playing taps.

Retired U.S. Marine Lt. Colonel Valerie Prehoda, now living in France, detailed the story of how McGill’s dog tags were returned to Anderson.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2023/06/79-years-later-deceased-world-war-ii-vets-dog-tags-delivered-from-france-to-anderson/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson