Author Topic: Is the US military trying to lose wars?  (Read 125 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Is the US military trying to lose wars?
« on: June 21, 2023, 04:12:39 pm »

Is the US military trying to lose wars?
Story by John Hughes • 6h ago

More than 10 years ago, military analysts declared the war in Afghanistan lost and began to publish articles and books on the reasons for the United States military’s glaring failure.

Two of the most noteworthy commanders in the debacle were both Army officers and West Point graduates — General Stanley McChrystal and General David Petraeus. In addition to strategic incompetence and lack of integrity in situational reports, both were eventually fired for character flaws. McChrystal was relieved of command by then-President Barack Obama for egregious and public insubordination in a Rolling Stone article. And Petraeus was fired as CIA director for mishandling classified documents and making false statements, while having an extramarital affair.

Students of history may look holistically at the Afghanistan debacle and point to the need to build more competent and ethical officers to return to what the Army is supposed to have been doing all along — winning our nation’s wars.

West Point has traditionally been the moral epicenter of the U.S. Army, so it should seem obvious that West Point’s leadership should do intensive introspection into its methodology of training cadets to become better officers to avoid providing such flawed officers for future wars.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/is-the-us-military-trying-to-lose-wars/ar-AA1cPz6i?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cc4f5501815e411e98f8124663a19628&ei=28
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson