Author Topic: In the Wake of High-Profile Suicides, the Army and Navy Are Trying to Adapt  (Read 153 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
In the Wake of High-Profile Suicides, the Army and Navy Are Trying to Adapt

Konstantin Toropin, Steve Beynon
Fri, June 16, 2023 at 2:01 PM EDT·7 min read
Driven by high-profile incidents of suicide and suicide clusters, the Navy and Army say they are working hard to address the issue and save lives.

But the picture that emerges as the services struggle with suicides is more mixed. It is an effort with successes in some areas but barely any progress in others.

The Navy recently unveiled a "playbook" that explains services available to sailors, and it has pushed leaders to address suicide. However, the state and availability of those services seem to vary throughout the fleet.

Army senior leaders have long touted mental health as a key concern and lobbied for more behavioral health providers. But the service has paused a new Army-wide system to respond to suicide risk, and it hasn't established clear doctrine on how to care for at-risk soldiers or how to respond to suicide ideation and attempts.

https://news.yahoo.com/wake-high-profile-suicides-army-180104413.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
They've been "trying to adapt" for quite a few years now without a whole lot of success.  You don't suppose the high rates of suicides have anything to do with their low rates of recruitment? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
They've been "trying to adapt" for quite a few years now without a whole lot of success.  You don't suppose the high rates of suicides have anything to do with their low rates of recruitment? :pondering:

That, and plus chronic poor treatment of enlisted personnel and toxic leadership at all levels.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus