Author Topic: Trump: ‘I Did’ Hire the Best People and Most of My Hires Were Good, But ‘I Didn’t Know’ Washington L  (Read 2417 times)

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Based on my knowledge, understanding and experience with the Republican Party the simple answer is: "No"

This is a silly question at this point.  And not supported by the math.

I think your take is incorrect.  Reconciliation will come from those opposing him, or not at all.  There will be no kumbaya concessions from Trump.

OK. Your responses speak for themselves.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I think the bull in the china shop actually starts with Trump's second term and continues unabated until he accomplishes his goals vis-a-vis the corrupt federal administrative state.

What Trump didn't recognize in his first term was the rampant corruption running through his own political party, not just the demonrats.   In business, especially the C Suite level, winners of contests and power struggles are winners and the runner-ups rally around the good of the corporation and profits or they leave, most times voluntarily. 

In Washington, especially dealing with a POTUS, the game is to damage and wait him out.  This has usually come from the opposition party and is to be expected.  But, what becomes clearer with each passing day is the Republican Party is uniquely without honor, has no true North and less than zero respect and concern for its constituents.  It is far worse a political party than the democrats.

Trump knows this now better than any other soul on this planet.  It's why I predict if Trump takes the oath on Jan 20, 2025, he will leave behind a fundamentally transformed Federal government in 2029.  And we will be better off for it, if we can keep it.

@bigheadfred

Heard in Washington VERY frequently; "I'll still be here when you are long gone Mr. (choose whatever elected official you like here)."
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Absolutely correct @massadvj ! Couldn't agree more! And it's very much the same with government institutions.

No! He cannot! He can only pick from the pool of senate approved candidates. Same as in at the university.

Those people very likely exist (those such as you describe willing to work for Trump) even having seen it all but will never have the opportunity because they will be screened out by the forces aligned to protect the establishment.

Hell! You can't even get advanced degrees now unless you submit to playing the game!

I get your point, Earl. I used to tell my students:

"it's not your fault that you were born in the most absurd times in the history of human civilization. But it is your fault if you fail to capitalize on that."

So, yes, navigating the system is a requirement whether we like it or not.

Offline roamer_1

I think that's just who Trump is.  I don't know why he is so hypersensitive and defensive...but he is.  And I think we've seen him for long enough now to know there's no way he's going to change.

Yeah, that. We've spoken before about how Old Boy networks function... How the top flight guys tend to gravitate to top flight guys to create top flight crews that make magic. The efficiencies are in the team - in the collaboration. Management has to be capable of assembling and running that show.

I don't see that in Tumpy. His first administration was a sh*t show. I don't see a second being any different. Because the magic isn't there.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I get your point, Earl. I used to tell my students:

"it's not your fault that you were born in the most absurd times in the history of human civilization. But it is your fault if you fail to capitalize on that."

So, yes, navigating the system is a requirement whether we like it or not.

You can put me down with the don't like it crowd and with the cut it to the bone crowd!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

I was a known, published conservative and I got through. But I will say I once was a visiting prof at Penn State and I probably did not get a tenure track offer because of my political orientation.

The conformity requirements you speak of are institutional job requirements, for all intents and purposes. Decisions are largely made by committees.

The president can hire whomever he wants. He can create his own list of requirements.

As an example, let's say I want an energy secretary. I want someone who fully understands the industry, but I also want someone who is skeptical of the "Green New Deal" and has the capacity to cut all that out -- maybe without the help of congress -- and must also navigate the hostile media as well.  This is likely someone who does not need money, or the headaches, but wants to make a contribution for the good of the country.  Will that person be willing to work for Trump, after seeing the experiences of Trump's former cabinet members? Someone will, sure. But the most qualified guy in the pool? I don't think so.

I got out quicker, richer AND without being insulted by Trump.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

I got out quicker, richer AND without being insulted by Trump.

He was a fine energy secretary as well. Checked all the boxes.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
He was a fine energy secretary as well. Checked all the boxes.

IMHO he would have made a damned fine POTUS as well.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

Indeed. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Only if he wears the glasses to make himself look smarter.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Bitter?  They performed poorly period.  I can't blame that on Trump, the blame does fall at his feet though for picking them.

I think a lot of them were actually decent picks, and that it was Trump's own erratic nature and eccentricities that caused most of the problems.

They got close to him, tried to work with him, and learned "this guy is a boob who won't take advice."

Offline libertybele

I think a lot of them were actually decent picks, and that it was Trump's own erratic nature and eccentricities that caused most of the problems.

They got close to him, tried to work with him, and learned "this guy is a boob who won't take advice."

I do believe that the one person that he listened to that he shouldn't have was Kushner. I think because of Kushner's past and his marriage to Ivanka, Trump thought he could trust him. Trump is very high energy and has some good attributes; I don't think listening to advice is one of them.  I'm not quite sure that I blame him though as who can he truly trust? 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DB

I do believe that the one person that he listened to that he shouldn't have was Kushner. I think because of Kushner's past and his marriage to Ivanka, Trump thought he could trust him. Trump is very high energy and has some good attributes; I don't think listening to advice is one of them.  I'm not quite sure that I blame him though as who can he truly trust?

Trust is earned. There's a long trail of wreckage following Trump.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

As I think I've mentioned before, I knew one of Trump's senior advisors, John Kelly, very well.  It is easy to see why they would have gotten along well at first, and also why it would have fallen apart.

Kelly is a very smart, very well-read, and disciplined guy.  All-business, and I imagine that appealed to Trump.  Trump liked him a lot as Homeland Security.

As Chief of Staff, the way they each approached their jobs was bound to clash at some point.

Offline libertybele

All in all, Trump's presidency is over. He needs to convince anti-Trumpers, Independents and some liberals that he should be re-elected.  That's a pretty tall order for someone who is facing jail time.

We need someone younger, more conservative and someone who knows the ins and outs of government and will honor and acknowledge our Constitution.  I'm not so sure that Trump acknowledges that the executive branch has some limitations.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Agreed. He wasn't running a corp any longer. I really think his ego is so large that he thinks people will be loyal and love him because of who he is. That, in reality was probably never true.

I have heard an old saying that if you want love and loyalty in DC...get a dog.
He was an outsider who hired from the 'inside' labor pool, based on recommendations of insiders, but wanting them to act as if they were outsiders.

Leopards don't change their spots.

He needed capable people who had dealt with the government and understood it, but were outsiders. That did not happen.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Reconciliation will come from those opposing him, or not at all.  There will be no kumbaya concessions from Trump.

It's going to be "not at all".  Nor should there be any concessions to Trump, and there certainly won't be any from him. The wisest course for those Republicans who don't get along with him will be to ignore him/wait him out. 

He would be a lame duck from the moment he is elected, and political focus will already be on a post-Trump world.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
It's going to be "not at all".  Nor should there be any concessions to Trump, and there certainly won't be any from him. The wisest course for those Republicans who don't get along with him will be to ignore him/wait him out. 

He would be a lame duck from the moment he is elected, and political focus will already be on a post-Trump world.

This is the Mastriano, Walker, Oz and Lake strategy.  Take me or leave me. Didn't work too well in 2022.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

We need someone younger, more conservative and someone who knows the ins and outs of government and will honor and acknowledge our Constitution.  I'm not so sure that Trump acknowledges that the executive branch has some limitations.

Bingo.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 11:01:20 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The great majority of comments in this thread
completely miss the point, which is -

There are close to ZERO people with ANY integrity in DC!
There are certainly FAR fewer people with any integrity
than there are jobs to be filled!

The DC Swamp systematically weeds out everyone with ANY integrity!
The DC Swamp is a PARASITE, at best!  America is the host.
The DC Swamp retains ONLY those whose loyalty is to The Swamp!
NOT to America!
The DC Swamp makes sure that
the only people they allow to accumulate any credentials and qualifications
are those who are loyal to The Swamp, and ENEMIES of America!

There are just over 4000 jobs that are filled by presidential appointment.
When President Trump was in office,
the Senate confirmed his appointments at a rate
that would complete Trump's appointments in ELEVEN years!

Expecting ANY president acting alone to clean up DC is like
trying to steer an aircraft carrier with a canoe paddle!

@unite for individuality

Every word the gospel truth!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Let's say you were to venture outside the classroom for the first time in your life to run a global private sector construction corporation.  Where would you look for staffing assistance @massadvj ?
Construction is not government.

But where would I get "staffing assistance?"

I wouldn't.

I would call for a fiscal cliff: defund unnecessary government jobs and refuse to lift the debt ceiling any more than necessary to pay the ones that are truly necessary.

That's how you drain the swamp.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This is the Mastriano, Walker, Oz and Lake strategy.  Take me or leave me. Didn't work too well in 2022.

:facepalm2:  No, it wasn't.  You should consider taking notes, professor.