Author Topic: Updated: submarine exploring Titanic wreckage disappears in Atlantic Ocean: Coast Guard  (Read 16546 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
JUST IN: Banging sounds were heard Tuesday during the search for the missing Titan submersible, according to an internal US government memo.

https://www.cnn.com/americas/live-news/titanic-submersible-missing-search-06-20-23/index.html

@Gefn

Let's hope that means what we think it means,and not just random noises made by the underwater tides moving things around.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

@Gefn

Let's hope that means what we think it means,and not just random noises made by the underwater tides moving things around.

I hope they can get them out in time
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

I hope they can get them out in time

@Gefn

The problem is there ain't no getting out unless the can they are in can go up.

I have no idea if there is even a ship sailing that carries enough cable to reach that far down to pull the submersible up,and even if there is,how would they even go about doing it?

I am NOT a salvage expert and do not even play  one  on teebee,but the  only way I can think of would be to drag a steel net like a trawling shrimp boat,and scoop the submersible up in it. Something that sounds a LOT easier than the reality would be. Once again,you would have to have  an accurate sonar/radar contact with  the submersible,and IF you could do that,the problem of not having enough cable to go that deep still exists.

There MIGHT be a possibility a specialized sub (covert ops) MIGHT be able to hook up to it and raise it up when the sub blows it's ballast,and there MIGHT even be a deep-diving sub with  a bow that opens to allow men and material in and out. Just guessing here. I don't know  a damn thing about subs other than I will hurt anybody that tries to get me on one.

Maybe the authorities can check with the guys that work the deep sea oil rigs off-shore to see if they have any equipment or suggestions that would help?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
About the max for hard suit atmospheric diving is reputed to be down to 2000 ft. Scuba, in all its mixed gas, saturation habitat variations doesn't get half way there.

The only viable means of rescue would be to attach a cable/net using another deep diving submersible or ROV, and haul it up to the surface.

By the time you got enough air in a bag to lift it, the bag would blow on the way up as the air expanded.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 07:12:23 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
About the max for hard suit atmospheric diving is reputed to be down to 2000 ft. Scuba, in all its mixed gas, saturation habitat variations doesn't get half way there.

The only viable means of rescue would be to attach a cable/net using another deep diving submersible or ROV, and haul it up to the surface.

By the time you got enough air in a bag to lift it, the bag would blow on the way up as the air expanded.

@Smokin Joe

Yeah,but chances are a "special operations" sub could hook a cable to it and haul it up.

Or even use  a big-ass magnet. After all,the submersible is assumed to still have air and not be full of water,so how hard could it be to raise it up if you could hook a cable or make a magnetic connection.

Assuming of course that subs like that are available and close enough to get there  in time.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
The Titan Tragedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dka29FSZac

Great video. Thanks for posting. I hope that whatever happened, it was quick and painless. I can't imagine the horror of being in that death trap for hours, knowing you have no chance to survive.

I hope this event does not encourage governments to pass laws restricting this kind of thing. Everyone on board that vessel knew the risks and accepted the risks. It is tragic, and this event will help to illuminate the inherent risks in these kinds of adventures so that whoever signs up will do so knowing the implications.  But government does not exist to protect us from ourselves, regardless of what the mob says.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

Yeah,but chances are a "special operations" sub could hook a cable to it and haul it up.

Or even use  a big-ass magnet. After all,the submersible is assumed to still have air and not be full of water,so how hard could it be to raise it up if you could hook a cable or make a magnetic connection.

Assuming of course that subs like that are available and close enough to get there  in time.
The sub is made of carbon fiber and titanium. A magnet likely won't find much to stick to. What ever does the hook-up has to be able to survive and function under pressures of 5500 PSI or more.

Currently operational (well, not decommissioned or retired) DSVs include Limiting Factor capable of 6000 meters, Nautile (French owned), Mir (Russian), and possibly two or three Chinese bathyscaphes, plus anything the Navy has they have not spoken up about.  There are only a handful of manned units in the world capable of going to that depth. After that there are some ROVs, I don't know how many or who owns them, but it is a pretty small group.

Of the bathyscaphes capable of reaching that depth, ever, better than half have been decommissioned or lost at sea or to other accidents.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

The sub is made of carbon fiber and titanium. A magnet likely won't find much to stick to. What ever does the hook-up has to be able to survive and function under pressures of 5500 PSI or more.

Currently operational (well, not decommissioned or retired) DSVs include Limiting Factor capable of 6000 meters, Nautile (French owned), Mir (Russian), and possibly two or three Chinese bathyscaphes, plus anything the Navy has they have not spoken up about.  There are only a handful of manned units in the world capable of going to that depth. After that there are some ROVs, I don't know how many or who owns them, but it is a pretty small group.

Of the bathyscaphes capable of reaching that depth, ever, better than half have been decommissioned or lost at sea or to other accidents.

Another problem with grabbing onto that thing at such depths is that it isn't just a matter of wrapping some cables around it and pulling it up - anything that puts an asymmetric load on the pressure vessel would most likely trigger a compression collapse at depth.

Offline American Girl

Disrespect for wisdom and experience, with some kind of almost imperial demand to erase "white men" from society,  doesn't really impress me as far as "progress" goes.
They will be only happy when the entire world is just like Africa and the Middle East. Good luck with that one!

https://www.usasupreme.com/go-woke-sink-boat-video-from-the-ceo-of-ocean-gate-reveals-that-wokeism-is-the-reason-why-the-lost-titanic-sub-is-in-this-situation/

Offline MOD3

Merged threads

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
June 21, 2023 3:33am EDT
Canadian aircraft detected 'underwater noises’ from search area for missing Titanic tourist submarine
Remotely operated vehicle operations attempted to explore the origin of the noises, the Coast Guard said

By Sarah Rumpf-Whitten | Fox News

A Canadian aircraft deployed to assist with rescue efforts for the missing Titanic tourist submersible picked up "underwater noises" in the vessel's search area, according to the Coast Guard (USCG).

"Canadian P-3 aircraft detected underwater noises in the search area," the USCG in the Northeast region announced on Twitter early Wednesday morning.

The Coast Guard said the detection of the underwater sounds in the designated search area prompted investigators to deploy remotely operated vehicle to relocate and investigate the origin of the unusual noises.

Though the search efforts "yielded negative results," the USCG said the operation continues.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/canadian-aircraft-detected-underwater-noises-search-area-missing-titanic-tourist-submarine

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Idiot

Sadly this will become a recovery mission in a very few hours.  I can't see any way they can be saved at this point.  Like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.  Not many ships happen to carry 3 miles of cable to lasso it with.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Great video. Thanks for posting. I hope that whatever happened, it was quick and painless. I can't imagine the horror of being in that death trap for hours, knowing you have no chance to survive.

I hope this event does not encourage governments to pass laws restricting this kind of thing. Everyone on board that vessel knew the risks and accepted the risks. It is tragic, and this event will help to illuminate the inherent risks in these kinds of adventures so that whoever signs up will do so knowing the implications. But government does not exist to protect us from ourselves, regardless of what the mob says.

@massadvj

PREACH IT,brother man!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
New assets 'on-scene' in missing Titanic sub search after Canadians pick up 'underwater noises'

BOSTON – Three new vessels arrived "on-scene" in the Atlantic Ocean Wednesday morning to join search and rescue efforts for the missing OceanGate Titan sub as the estimated oxygen supply on board continues to dwindle.

The U.S. Coast Guard said the new vessels bring additional tools to scan the ocean floor as they race against the clock to save the five people onboard: OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, British businessman Hamish Harding, father-and-son Shahzada and Suleman Dawood, who are members of one of Pakistan’s wealthiest families, and Paul-Henry Nargeolet, a former French navy officer and leading Titanic expert.

"The John Cabot has side-scanning sonar capabilities and is conducting search patterns alongside the Skandi Vinland and the Atlantic Merlin," the Coast Guard said.

The John Cabot is a Canadian coast guard vessel, the Atlantic Merlin is a Canadian remotely operated vehicle (ROV), and the Skandi Vinland is a commercial ROV, authorities said. Several additional assets were still headed toward the search area.

Posted by Michael Ruiz
Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/missing-oceangate-titanic-tourist-submarine-search-is-underway
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Less than 24 hours left of 'breathable air' onboard OceanGate Titan

There are now less than 24 hours of oxygen onboard the missing OceanGate Titan submarine, according to an estimate from the U.S. Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard said Tuesday afternoon that there were just 40 hours left of "breathable air" inside the vessel.

By their estimate, it should run out by Thursday morning eastern standard time.

The vessel launched its journey Sunday with 96 hours of oxygen onboard.

So far, the search of an area greater than the size of the state of Connecticut has turned up no signs of Titan, according to the Coast Guard.

A Canadian aircraft deployed to assist with rescue efforts has picked up "underwater noises" in the vessel's search area, the Coast Guard also said.

"Canadian P-3 aircraft detected underwater noises in the search area," the USCG in the Northeast region announced on Twitter early Wednesday morning.

The Coast Guard said the detection of the underwater sounds in the designated search area prompted investigators to deploy remotely operated vehicle to relocate and investigate the origin of the unusual noises.

Though the search efforts "yielded negative results," the USCG said the operation continues.

Fox News' Sarah Rumpf-Whitten contributed to this report.
Posted by Greg Norman
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

OceanGate Was Twice Warned of 'Catastrophic' Problems With Its Submersible

BY RICK MORAN
JUNE 21, 2023

The saga of the Titan submersible, missing since Monday shortly after it launched to take tourists to see the wreck of the Titanic, is a story that may prove to be as tragic — and maddening — as the tale of the doomed ocean liner itself.

In 2018, experts inside and outside the company sounded alarms about the Titan submersible — most notably, that the craft wasn’t properly certified to dive to the depths necessary to reach the Titanic. OceanGate’s director of marine operations, David Lochridge, wrote a report saying the craft needed more testing, stressing “the potential dangers to passengers of the Titan as the submersible reached extreme depths.”

Two months later, two dozen experts in the submersibles industry — deep sea explorers and oceanographers — sent a letter to OceanGate Expeditions chief executive Stockton Rush saying that the company’s refusal to get a “traditional assessment” could lead to potentially “catastrophic” problems with the Titanic mission.

It should be noted that Mr. Rush is currently onboard the Titan — wherever it may be. A Canadian search plane picked up underwater noises in the search area.

Source:  https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2023/06/21/oceangate-was-twice-warned-of-catastrophic-problems-with-its-submersible-n1704995

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
If you are gonna spend a quarter of a million dollars for a ride to see a sunken ship you would think the owners would have invested in a state of the art navigational device.   But what the hey, What could be more reliable than a used Nintedo 64 gaming controller.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

Wow.  There are 5 people in the 22 ft. submersible .... not a whole lot of room and I'd say the oxygen supply isn't what they are conveying.  I've read that they have less then 10 hours left -- this article is saying about a day.

Missing Titanic submarine live updates: Noises detected in search; company faced safety questions

As U.S. and Canadian crews continued to search Wednesday for a missing submersible that may have only a day's supply of oxygen left, more information was emerging about experts' attempts to warn the company that owns the underwater vessel about the perils of its operations.

Documents show an OceanGate employee warned there might be safety problems posed by the way the experimental vessel was developed, and leaders in the submersible craft industry told the company its approach to the enterprise could have a "catastrophic'' outcome.

The 22-foot submersible was carrying five people in a dive to the wreckage site of the Titanic when it lost contact with a support ship Sunday. ..........

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/06/21/missing-titanic-tourist-submarine-search-noises-live-updates/70341342007/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

The 22-foot submersible and its support ship left from St. John's on Friday. The submarine submerged with five people on board Sunday morning, the Coast Guard said. The Canadian ship monitoring the submersible lost contact with it about an hour and 45 minutes later.........

.................Built by OceanGate Inc, the Titan submersible is designed to take five people to depths of 13,124 feet for site survey and inspection, research and data collection. The submarine weighs 25,000 pounds and has a titanium crew compartment and a carbon fiber hull. Unlike submarines, submersibles has limited power reserves, so they require a support ship that can launch and recover them.....................

............The Titanic lies about 370 miles off Newfoundland, Canada, at a depth of about 12,500 feet. Trips to the site typically involve a two-hour descent. Few vessels can endure the pressure at such depth — more than 5,300 pounds per square inch...........

https://www.usatoday.com/story/graphics/2023/06/20/missing-titanic-submersible-submarine-sub-maps-and-graphics-explain-wreckage-location/70336971007/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Reporter who rode Titanic submersible tells USA TODAY about 'less sophisticated' parts

A CBS reporter who last year rode the Titan submersible that vanished off the coast of Canada this week with five people inside told USA TODAY parts of the vessel seemed "less sophisticated" and described the safety features meant to avoid a crisis like the one it's currently facing.

"I was anticipating a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I got it," CBS correspondent David Pogue told USA TODAY's "5 Things" podcast.

Pogue boarded submersible for a CBS report that aired in November alongside OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, who is among the five missing passengers on the voyage to tour the wreckage of the Titanic.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/06/20/david-pogue-titanic-submarine-video-cbs/70340223007/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline DB

You would think the sub would be going straight down to where the Titanic wreck is and the search area be very small. Even if there were strong currents the sub was nearly to its destination when it went quiet. So prior to going quiet it was being navigated to the correct location.

And you would also think that something like this would have at least one unmanned drone follow it down keeping an eye on it being able to render aid if it got tangled in something. An unmanned drone would be far simpler and less costly to operate as a team.

Doesn't make much sense.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
If you are gonna spend a quarter of a million dollars for a ride to see a sunken ship you would think the owners would have invested in a state of the art navigational device.   But what the hey, What could be more reliable than a used Nintedo 64 gaming controller.

The money wouldn't worry me as much as being 2000 (or however much) feet below the surface...

Offline Idiot

The money wouldn't worry me as much as being 2000 (or however much) feet below the surface...
12,500 feet.  WAAAY down there.

Offline DB

12,500' below the surface...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
12,500' below the surface...

That is the realm of professional scientific expeditions, not sight-seeing. Can't believe they thought this was a good idea.
The Republic is lost.