Author Topic: Updated: submarine exploring Titanic wreckage disappears in Atlantic Ocean: Coast Guard  (Read 16556 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
@DB

Ahh...thank you!   :patriot:

What about an emergency weighted/anchored buoy directing a signal from the surface?
Something?  Anything?

Not an expert but I think sonar only works underwater.

Online DB

@DB

Ahh...thank you!   :patriot:

What about an emergency weighted/anchored buoy directing a signal from the surface?
Something?  Anything?

Very low frequency radio waves work under water. The surface is more than 2 miles up. You would think there would be some sort of releasable buoy for emergency communications. But if the sub failed catastrophically there would be nothing.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Very low frequency radio waves work under water. The surface is more than 2 miles up. You would think there would be some sort of releasable buoy for emergency communications. But if the sub failed catastrophically there would be nothing.

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
CNN has a live presser right now.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Efforts to rescue the Titanic submersible are being delayed because US officials haven't approved paperwork, OceanGate advisor says
Story by tporter@businessinsider.com (Tom Porter) • 6h ago

The company that owns the missing Titanic submersible criticized bureaucratic delays.

It said vital equipment is being being held up by US officials.

Rescuers are searching for the submersible that went missing Sunday.

A delay by US officials in approving paperwork is hampering the mission to find a submersible that has five people trapped on board, an advisor to the company that owns the sub said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/efforts-to-rescue-the-titanic-submersible-are-being-delayed-because-us-officials-haven-t-approved-paperwork-oceangate-advisor-says/ar-AA1cMMCm?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=12c5a1aa5b094fc48ebe4abf8b5729a1&ei=37
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If an illegal alien had been on board, the submersible would be on dry land already. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Kamaji

If an illegal alien had been on board, the submersible would be on dry land already. :whistle:

Yup.

Offline Polly Ticks

CNN has a live presser right now.

Anything new?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I wonder at what point it changes from search and rescue to a recovery effort?

@Polly Ticks

At the same moment the oxygen runs out.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
BTW,why all the cheap shots at the control device?

If it works,it works. That's all any of them can do.

BTW,I am a BIG fan of the "Keep it simple,stupid!" line of thinking. The less complex something is,the less likely  it is to fail.

Online DB

The picture above implies there's a cable that goes from the sub to the surface. If so, that is likely what is used to communicate with it. If there was a cable, it must be gone or disconnected for the sub to be lost.

Online DB

Thinking about it, perhaps that cable is a low frequency antenna and does not go to the surface.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Efforts to rescue the Titanic submersible are being delayed because US officials haven't approved paperwork, OceanGate advisor says
Story by tporter@businessinsider.com (Tom Porter) • 6h ago

The company that owns the missing Titanic submersible criticized bureaucratic delays.

It said vital equipment is being being held up by US officials.

@rangerrebew

Translation: No cash  "gifts" have reached "The Big  Guy",and you KNOW that since the submersible is full of Billionaires,the "gifts" had better be BIG!

Offline berdie

Anything new?

The only thing I heard new was a certain amount of pessimism that there would be a positive outcome.

Offline Polly Ticks

The only thing I heard new was a certain amount of pessimism that there would be a positive outcome.

Yeah.  Very sad.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online libertybele

They have less than 40 hours of air left. It has no GPS system and is navigated by something similar to a game controller.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-65953941

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Kinda terrifying thought huh?

Online libertybele

Kinda terrifying thought huh?

It is terrifying. There's no way to track this submersible; no GPS system.  The craft is only 22 feet long. 

It's a horrible thought, but, I'm thinking perhaps it took on water and sank and is sitting somewhere on the ocean floor. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

Translation: No cash  "gifts" have reached "The Big  Guy",and you KNOW that since the submersible is full of Billionaires,the "gifts" had better be BIG!
Hunter needs a new Porsche, baby!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
BTW,why all the cheap shots at the control device?

If it works,it works. That's all any of them can do.

BTW,I am a BIG fan of the "Keep it simple,stupid!" line of thinking. The less complex something is,the less likely  it is to fail.
Saw a video lately on training crew for the M! Abrams, and they touted the fact that the controls were similar to a playstation making training so much easier because new recruits were familiar with the feel, etc. of the controls. What works works...until it doesn't.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online LMAO

No thanks. I can think of many better and safer things to do with 250 grand

Although it would be a cool journey
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well... Here's a pretty good explanation:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/oceangate-company-behind-missing-titanic-tourist-sub-once-subject-lawsuit-safety-complaints

At the meeting, Lochridge discovered why he had been denied access to the viewport information from the engineering department: The viewport at the forward of the submersible was only built to a certified pressure of 1,300 meters – although OceanGate intended to take passengers down to depths of 4,000 meters, according to the complaint.
@DB

[/quote]

@DB

IF that is true,it's over for that soon  to be bankrupt company.

It may be over even if it isn't true because ALL the victims are from Billionaire families,and you can bet your bippy  the negligence law suits WILL be flying. Filing a law suit like this for them is like most of us taking our family  to a movie. They can finance it on a CC and pay off the CC before any interest comes due.

Online corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
JUST IN: Banging sounds were heard Tuesday during the search for the missing Titan submersible, according to an internal US government memo.

https://www.cnn.com/americas/live-news/titanic-submersible-missing-search-06-20-23/index.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️