Author Topic: A Navy base put up a wall to ward off stray bullets. Locals say that doesn't solve gun violence.  (Read 267 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Navy base put up a wall to ward off stray bullets. Locals say that doesn't solve gun violence.
Story by Bracey Harris • 10h ago

More than 20 shipping containers line the south side of a Navy base in Gulfport, Mississippi. They’re not there to transport goods, but instead stand as a silent marker of the gun violence afflicting the state’s second-largest city.

The hulking boxes were put in place last fall, after gunfire at a subsidized apartment complex across the street damaged five homes inside the Naval Construction Battalion Center; no one was hurt. The base responded by increasing patrols around its perimeter and making one of the most fortified areas of Gulfport even more so.

“The optics of that are very bad,” said John Whitfield, a pastor and the CEO of Climb CDC, a nearby nonprofit focusing on workforce development. “The practicality of it, I understand.”

A spokesperson at the base said the barrier is meant to be a “temporary solution” and that the city had offered assurances that it was addressing the gun violence issue. Still, the Navy is considering building a permanent concrete wall.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-navy-base-put-up-a-wall-to-ward-off-stray-bullets-locals-say-that-doesn-t-solve-gun-violence/ar-AA1cHyoP?ocid=msedgdhphdr&pc=U531&cvid=46f10c9cd7d54c2fba5dc9384e5fad09&ei=60
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson