Author Topic: Wearing Shirt Saying ‘There Are Only Two Genders’ Not Protected Speech, Judge Says  (Read 276 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wearing Shirt Saying ‘There Are Only Two Genders’ Not Protected Speech, Judge Says

By Zachary Stieber
June 17, 2023Updated: June 17, 2023

School administrators were not infringing on a student’s constitutional rights when they ordered him to remove a shirt that said “there are only two genders,” a district judge ruled on June 17.

Massachusetts middle-schooler Liam Morrison’s lawyers said the order violated his First Amendment rights to free speech and his Fourteenth Amendment rights to due process, but U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani said the violations have not been proven.

The school “permissibly concluded that the Shirt invades the rights of others,” Talwani, an Obama appointee, said.

Schools can bar speech that is in “collision with the rights of others to be secure and be let alone,” Talwani said, quoting from the 1969 ruling in Tinker v. Des Moines Indep. School Dist.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/wearing-shirt-saying-there-are-only-two-genders-not-protected-speech-judge-says_5339749.html?utm_source=partner&utm_campaign=BonginoReport
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I'll bet shirts supporting things like gay right, trannies, Black Lives Matter, and other liberal causes don't "invade the rights of others." :wtf:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson