Author Topic: Are you ready for the Juneteenth federal holiday tomorrow? By Thomas Lifson  (Read 2133 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
June 18, 2023
Are you ready for the Juneteenth federal holiday tomorrow?
By Thomas Lifson

Monday, the nineteenth of June, is our newest federal holiday (just 2 years old), Juneteenth, and federal workers get yet another day’s pay without having to work for it. Since the federal workforce is heavily overrepresented with black workers (18.2% of the federal workforce versus 12.6% of the population), the words “disparate impact” come to mind, benefitting African Americans with a paid holiday that not too many other employees get, judging by the fact that I was able to book two appointments with service providers tomorrow before I even realized Monday was holiday.

Juneteenth, we are told, commemorates the end of slavery, even though President Lincoln’s

Emancipation Proclamation was issued two-and-half-years earlier. As Henry Louis Gates wrote, explaining the holiday:

The First Juneteenth

“The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor. The freedmen are advised to remain quietly at their present homes and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere.” —General Orders, Number 3; Headquarters District of Texas, Galveston, June 19, 1865

When Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger issued the above order, he had no idea that, in establishing the Union Army’s authority over the people of Texas, he was also establishing the basis for a holiday, “Juneteenth” (“June” plus “nineteenth”), today the most popular annual celebration of emancipation from slavery in the United States. After all, by the time Granger assumed command of the Department of Texas, the Confederate capital in Richmond had fallen; the “Executive” to whom he referred, President Lincoln, was dead; and the 13th Amendment abolishing slavery was well on its way to ratification.

But Granger wasn’t just a few months late. The Emancipation Proclamation itself, ending slavery in the Confederacy (at least on paper), had taken effect two-and-a-half years before, and in the interim, close to 200,000 black men had enlisted in the fight. So, formalities aside, wasn’t it all over, literally, but the shouting?

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/06/are_you_ready_for_the_juneteenth_federal_holiday_tomorrow.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
The CEO of my company asked us to consider taking a floating holiday to celebrate it, and had links to a bunch of DEI crap from Linked in. Hard pass.

Online mountaineer

Now here's how you celebrate Juneteenth!
Illinois ‘Juneteenth’ party shooting: 1 dead, 22 injured
OAN’s Brooke Mallory
3:00 PM – Sunday, June 18, 2023

At least 22 people were hurt and one person was killed by gunshots overnight in Illinois during a Juneteenth party and celebration that turned fatal, according to authorities.
Advertisement

The DuPage County Sheriff’s Office stated that an unknown number of suspects fired many rounds from different guns into the enormous crowd assembled to celebrate Juneteenth.  ...
OANN
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Phony, made-up holiday for blacks.
Only a notch or two above "kwanza".

I will never recognize this as a bona-fide federal holiday.
Never.

Edit:
Posted before I read mountaineer's post above.

This is what "juneteenth" is destined to become. A "shoot-em-up" day to settle scores and create general mayhem. What happened in Illinois is only a foretaste.

Could it eventually transmogrify into a day on which to wage black rage and savagery upon whites and Asians...?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 09:59:19 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Phony, made-up holiday for blacks.
Only a notch or two above "kwanza".

I will never recognize this as a bona-fide federal holiday.
Never.

Edit:
Posted before I read mountaineer's post above.

This is what "juneteenth" is destined to become. A "shoot-em-up" day to settle scores and create general mayhem. What happened in Illinois is only a foretaste.

Could it eventually transmogrify into a day on which to wage black rage and savagery upon whites and Asians...?

@Fishrrman

It can ONCE,and that is when they will discover how "TRUELY  EVIL" de white mans kan bees". White people have allowed the black radicals a truly amazing amount of slack in order to try to heal the GENUINE wounds and wrongs inflicted on their ancestors,but enough is enough.

Takes a lot to get the white man riled up,but once you do,you are going to pay a truly  terrible price.

Even though I spent several years in Asia,I don't know that much about what gets  them "fired up",but I CAN tell you they don't scare easily and they WILL come after you if you piss them off or attack them. Do NOT be fooled by their cultural "calm and collected manner". It is a cultural trait developed because so many  of them having no choice but  to be crowded together in tiny apartments in both  China and other Asia nations,although  this happened for different reasons.

Get them mad enough to attack you,and you have a genuine problem on your hands. Do NOT confuse their reserve for fear because once they "lose their nut" bad enough to go on the attack,they become a totally different creature than the shy and reserved Asians you are used to dealing with,and they will tear you a new one.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

Zero impact. Won't even know it happened.

Online mountaineer

I think my library will be closed for Juneteenth. 😞

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don't think I understand the question.  Do I need to make sure all my 5.56 mags are full?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

Juneteenth? I never heard of it. So I read the first paragraph and something about slavery.  That was enough. Nope.  It's not going to affect me.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Zero impact. Won't even know it happened.
Yep, same routine as the past year or so...mountain bike ride in the morning and then to work just so's I can pay for de welfare dey's all counting on.  :smokin: 
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline roamer_1

Yep, same routine as the past year or so...mountain bike ride in the morning and then to work just so's I can pay for de welfare dey's all counting on.  :smokin:

Somethin like that... Though no mountain bike for a while... And the mountain bike would be a horse or a quad... None of that right now... Just coffee on the porch in the morning and tea on the porch at night... with whatever in between. Somethin Country.

Offline libertybele

Somethin like that... Though no mountain bike for a while... And the mountain bike would be a horse or a quad... None of that right now... Just coffee on the porch in the morning and tea on the porch at night... with whatever in between. Somethin Country.

When you mention something country, I think of country sausage gravy and biscuits or country fried steak or chicken. Sigh .... I'm still having to watch the darn salt, so those aren't an option right now.  Hopefully soon.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

As Henry Louis Gates wrote, explaining the holiday:

The First Juneteenth

“The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free.  .  .  .

.  .  .  thanks to the Republican Party.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The markets will be closed. That's about it.

I hate racial and ethnic pandering, especially on holidays. It's about as relevant as Cinco de Mayo. It doesn't come across well anyway, because it conveys an attitude of separatism and wanting all the perks of living in America yet essentially rejecting it at the same time.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

When you mention something country, I think of country sausage gravy and biscuits or country fried steak or chicken. Sigh .... I'm still having to watch the darn salt, so those aren't an option right now.  Hopefully soon.

*SIGH* Me too...
But I have a weekend breakfast now... Those Healthy Choice frozen meals I get have a Mexican Street Corn dish with chicken in it... Throw that through the nuke for 4 mins... While it's going I do up three scrambled eggs with red pepper flakes, chili powder, and garlic...

Then when the Mexican corn is done, take it out and worry it up, and then dump the eggs in and worry it up... and then squeeze some rooster sauce all over it, and voila!

The salt thing ain't all that bad, but there's whole redneck food groups that I ain't been near in months. Even Ro-tel.How the heck is a redneck boy supposed to survive without Ro-tel?
It is a bother.  :shrug:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Here's the thing though, I don't even mind Juneteenth. We don't have any holidays in June. So I'll take another day off. And it's for something to do with slavery.

Offline Kamaji

Offline Kamaji

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I saw Publix has Watermelon's on sale.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

There was another celebratory shooting in NC, apart from the mass shooting near Chicago.
16-year-old charged after shooting at downtown Juneteenth festival in Asheville, North Carolina, police say
WYFF
Updated: 11:14 PM EDT Jun 18, 2023
A.J. Davis, Digital Producer

ASHEVILLE, N.C. — A juvenile has been arrested after a shooting at a Juneteenth festival, according to Asheville Police Department.

Police say officers were called on Saturday just after 8:5o p.m. about reports of shots fired at a downtown Juneteenth festival at Pack Square Park.  ...

The city of Asheville Facebook page posted a statement by the MLK Jr. Association announcing the cancelation of Sunday's event following the shooting. ...
The city of Asheville has been advertising its tourism charms on TV like crazy of late. Oops, this isn't one of them.

Offline Kamaji

There was another celebratory shooting in NC, apart from the mass shooting near Chicago.The city of Asheville has been advertising its tourism charms on TV like crazy of late. Oops, this isn't one of them.

So has Chicago.  I am getting so tired of the lying advert that comes on spotify (yes, I'm too cheap to pay for the premium subscription) touting all the "wonders" of Chicago, without once mentioning the skyrocketing crime and murder statistics.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
.  .  .  thanks to the Republican Party.

@Hoodat

Proof that no good deed goes unpunished.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
There was another celebratory shooting in NC, apart from the mass shooting near Chicago.The city of Asheville has been advertising its tourism charms on TV like crazy of late. Oops, this isn't one of them.

@mountaineer

Odd how there was no mention of the race of either  the shooters or the vic-tums,huh?