Author Topic: A New Armored Vehicle Is Coming to the Army. It Could Be a Game Changer for Light Units, Vets Say.  (Read 238 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A New Armored Vehicle Is Coming to the Army. It Could Be a Game Changer for Light Units, Vets Say.

June 15, 2023

Army combat veterans are excited about the new tracked fighting vehicle unveiled by the service last week, which could give more units access to powerful guns in the field. They just want to make sure the service is ready to give those troops the spare parts and training needed to make sure soldiers can use them in firefights.

“When I was a commander in combat, I don’t think I ever said no to more firepower,” Lt. Col. John Principe of the Army’s Command and General Staff College told Military.com in a phone call.

Unveiled June 10, the M10 Booker is the first specialized armored vehicle with a tank-sized gun to join the Army in decades, a tool for wars that the service hasn’t prepared for since the fall of the Soviet Union, in which big units advance across a front that could be hundreds of miles long. The past 20 years of war in Afghanistan saw combat centered on valleys that were a dozen kilometers wide, while in Iraq, combat was mostly limited to cities after the invasion.

Four former Army combat commanders spoke to Military.com about the M10. They expressed optimism, with a common caveat that much depends on how quickly and effectively the Army puts the Booker alongside infantry.

https://news.cibassoc.org/a-new-armored-vehicle-is-coming-to-the-army-it-could-be-a-game-changer-for-light-units-vets-say/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

Whether or not the irony is intentional, the Booker is akin to the WW2 M10 Tank Destroyer - lightly armored with a tank-caliber gun. Used properly/carefully, it gives infantry mobile artillery power. If used in the open against tanks as if it were a tank, its longevity wouldn't be long.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

Whether or not the irony is intentional, the Booker is akin to the WW2 M10 Tank Destroyer - lightly armored with a tank-caliber gun. Used properly/carefully, it gives infantry mobile artillery power. If used in the open against tanks as if it were a tank, its longevity wouldn't be long.

It also means it's very vulnerable to the sorts of missiles that are very good at targeting and destroying vehicles.

Offline RetBobbyMI

It also means it's very vulnerable to the sorts of missiles that are very good at targeting and destroying vehicles.

Not to mention drones.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy