Author Topic: Mysterious Pentagon unit scours social media for 'embarrassing' posts about military leaders: repor  (Read 154 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Mysterious Pentagon unit scours social media for 'embarrassing' posts about military leaders: report
Story by Tom Boggioni • Yesterday 7:42 AM

According to a report from the Intercept, members of a secretive unit at the Pentagon who serve as a type of Secret Service for military leaders even after they retire, are also scouring social media for anything that could embarrass the officials they are tasked with protecting.

The report notes that the U.S. Army Protective Services Battalion provides security for high-ranking military officials and part of its job is looking for threats and tracking down anyone who could harm the officials before it happens.

However, as the Intercept is reporting, members of the security forces also go beyond looking out for "direct, indirect, and veiled” threats, they also are on the lookout for “negative sentiment” aimed at officials.

According to Ilia Siatitsa, program director at Privacy International, seeking out insulting tweets and Facebook complaints is going overboard.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mysterious-pentagon-unit-scours-social-media-for-embarrassing-posts-about-military-leaders-report/ar-AA1cFHlL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=7aa59d611fd4453cbaba1e01e78f671c&ei=16
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Aaw!  I guess the truth hurts more when you have four stars. :baby:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson