Author Topic: Ron DeSantis Compares Himself to a Disciple of Jesus Christ  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Ron DeSantis Compares Himself to a Disciple of Jesus Christ
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2023, 10:32:16 pm »
IMHO there hasn't been any evidence of a 'religious event'.  Because our country was founded upon Christian values and morals, there is a fine line I believe between religion and conservatism.  He has based his campaign and ruled conservatively.  In many ways, some issues may intertwine with religion; abortion, gay pride, etc.

Governors don't "rule", dear.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2023, 10:38:43 pm »
IMHO there hasn't been any evidence of a 'religious event'.  Because our country was founded upon Christian values and morals, there is a fine line I believe between religion and conservatism.  He has based his campaign and ruled conservatively.  In many ways, some issues may intertwine with religion; abortion, gay pride, etc.

Have any candidates mentioned the now 32 trillion in debt? Has any candidate mentioned the ticking time bomb of Social Security and Medicare and, although I don’t expect a detailed plan right now, at least throw out some ideas in dealing with them?

So far I’ve heard nothing except  demagoguery, ignoring the problem, or blaming illegal immigrants
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2023, 10:44:00 pm »
Have any candidates mentioned the now 32 trillion in debt? Has any candidate mentioned the ticking time bomb of Social Security and Medicare and, although I don’t expect a detailed plan right now, at least throw out some ideas in dealing with them?

So far I’ve heard nothing except  demagoguery, ignoring the problem, or blaming illegal immigrants

Just recently the GOP (under McCarthy) are re-discussing Social Security and Medicare.  So much for the liberals being the ones that want to shove granny off a cliff.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/major-cuts-social-security-back-154637458.html

https://rollcall.com/2023/06/14/conservatives-budget-plan-renews-battle-over-seniors-benefits/

https://newrepublic.com/post/173661/republicans-bringing-back-plan-gut-social-security-medicare

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/jun/14/republicans-push-kevin-mccarthy-address-social-sec/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2023, 10:46:13 pm »

Most candidates address the issues on their websites, especially those you don't hear them speaking about them publicly. Too many people zone out when the topic is the economy, taxes, Social Security, etc., whereas immigration and social issues are like red meat to the masses.

This is on the RDS site:
We must restore sanity to our nation.

This means embracing Fiscal and economic sanity ... stop pricing hard-working Americans out of a good standard of living through inflationary borrow, print and spend policies.  And embrace American energy independence.
... but I don't know whether he's published anything more on point. That was one thing Giuliani did well when he ran in 2008 - his website provided his platform and rather detailed proposals. I would like to see all candidates do that.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LMAO

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2023, 11:01:30 pm »
If you go back to Ronald Reagan’s 1980 campaign campaign it centered around the theme of how big government has gotten and reducing its size and costs. It didn’t all work as planned, but it would be nice to hear something along the lines of “the nine most terrifying words in the English language are ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.”
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2023, 11:32:57 pm »
GAWD hissef bees on DeRun,run,runs side,yall!

"We iz da wurld.....

We iz da servants......"
You must despise trumpypoo too then as he loves to flash his religion...when he thinks it will score him points. That's the problem with you atheist antagonism, it hits your boy too.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2023, 11:40:07 pm »
Ron DeSantis Compares Himself to a Disciple of Jesus Christ
June 16, 2023 | Sundance

Yeah, he really did that. Folks, I’m not sharing this to be snarky about Ron DeSantis per se’, this isn’t actually his messaging. It’s worth looking at this through the prism of who is operating the management, branding and communication effort. This level of ridiculous religious pandering is stunningly identical to Ted Cruz in the early 2016 GOP nomination.

The DeSantis campaign knows they need to target evangelical and faith-based voters. Put a group of people who are not actually centered on the principles of faith in charge of a political campaign, tell them they need to appeal to faith-based voters, and this is exactly what you get.

The DeSantis campaign organizes what should be an interview with friendly allies in the Christian Broadcasting Network. [Full Interview Here]  CBN’s David Brody then interviews Ron DeSantis asking him what historic figures he would associate himself with. DeSantis’s answer is so far beyond pandering cringe, it makes you seriously wonder who constructed this messaging for him [likely, Jeff Roe]. WATCH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpzr-WsZSJ0&ab_channel=TheRecount

more
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/blog/2023/06/16/ron-desantis-compares-himself-to-a-disciple-of-jesus-christ/
I admire what he said.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2023, 11:48:41 pm »
@libertybele

If that is true,why should any of us bother to make plans  for ourselves?

God is a scam to control people.
Jesus is very real and changed my life in ways that are hard to imagine.  I would likely not be here without Him.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2023, 12:25:43 am »
@libertybele

Here's how I reconcile all that, @sneakypete

I don't believe that God either sets or controls each of our destinies, because I think that is fundamentally incompatible with the Free Will with which He blessed each of us.   After all, did God really plan for Eve to eat that apple?  So all of us ultimately control our own destinies unless God decides on occasion to stick a thumb on the scales.

But I do think He will help guide each of us if we ask Him, and if we listen.  So to the extent He has a plan for each of us, it is still our choice as to whether or not to follow it.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2023, 12:39:44 am »
Jesus
Was an Israeli Jew.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2023, 12:59:39 am »
But I hope his campaign for president isn’t just  a religious event

His record as governor speaks in that regard. His record in congress too.

His record as a Christian is no skin off your nose if he is TEA Party**  too.

**Not saying that is true just yet... Jussayin.

Because if he can unite the Christians with the TEA Party folks, he is a long way toward joining the Conservatives together. He's got military chops too. That's three.

Fiscal responsibility and Foreign Policy. That's what I still need to hear about.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2023, 01:03:22 am »

Fiscal responsibility and Foreign Policy. That's what I still need to hear about.

Yup

Barry Goldwater

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2023, 01:05:55 am »
And of course, this interview WAS tailored for Christian consumption. That it wouldn't be heavy toward fiscal issues is not surprising.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2023, 02:31:40 am »
You must despise trumpypoo too then as he loves to flash his religion...when he thinks it will score him points. That's the problem with you atheist antagonism, it hits your boy too.

@GtHawk

Trump is not my "boy".

I MIGHT would let him sit on my porch to get out of the rain,but I wouldn't let him in my house.

And I don't give a squat if he is a true believer or a "Sunday Morning Christian. I WOULD care if he converted to Islam,but I really don't see that happening.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2023, 04:00:30 am »
@libertybele

Ever make plans that didn't work out? Ever have that be a good thing?

Just saying.Jonah sailed for Tarshish, but wound up in Nineveh.  :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2023, 04:40:30 am »

It sure doesn't look like DeSantis had problems remember things from the Bible, how long did it take Trump (and once Trump even made up a fake passage).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2023, 04:48:46 am »
The only theological question I’d have for ANY person running for President is this: do you believe that you are a sinner in need of a Savior? That’s it. That, in a nutshell, will tell me if you are a disciple of Christ.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2023, 05:23:18 am »
The only theological question I’d have for ANY person running for President is this: do you believe that you are a sinner in need of a Savior? That’s it. That, in a nutshell, will tell me if you are a disciple of Christ.

That's right... Though it is excellent to find someone well read in the scripture, and well studied in the ramifications thereof.

But my focus from a political position is more about the Judeo-Christian ethic and how it informs our sense of right and wrong, and how that intertwines law and order. That is the stuff that welds us together ethically and philosophically. That is what must span the gaps across religions and regions.

And that, more than Christianity itself, has been what's been under fire... And what is allowing division.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 05:24:39 am by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2023, 05:27:21 am »
And I don't give a squat if he is a true believer or a "Sunday Morning Christian.

That it does matter to millions of your allies should be in consideration, @sneakypete .

Offline LMAO

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2023, 08:56:09 am »
@GtHawk

Trump is not my "boy".

I MIGHT would let him sit on my porch to get out of the rain,but I wouldn't let him in my house.

And I don't give a squat if he is a true believer or a "Sunday Morning Christian. I WOULD care if he converted to Islam,but I really don't see that happening.

This line reminds me of what somebody told me back during the 2016 election that, even though they agreed with me that Hillary Clinton broke the law and should be in jail, he was going to vote for her anyways just to keep Trump out of office

I would never vote for a candidate that I wouldn’t even invite into my house. You wouldn’t invite him into your own house, but strangely,  you want to foist him onto everybody else
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 02:02:47 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Idiot

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2023, 01:53:38 pm »
This line reminds me of what somebody told me back during the 2016 election that, even though they agreed with me that Hillary Clinton broke the law and should be in jail, he was going to vote for her anyways just to keep Trump out of office

I would never vote for a candidate that I wouldn’t even invited into my house. You wouldn’t invite him into your own house, but strangely,  you want to foist him onto everybody else
goopo

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2023, 02:28:16 pm »

@debrawiest

So,you won't vote for ANY candidate,no matter how qualified and competent he or she is,if they aren't a Christian?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2023, 02:29:26 pm »
That's right... Though it is excellent to find someone well read in the scripture, and well studied in the ramifications thereof.

But my focus from a political position is more about the Judeo-Christian ethic and how it informs our sense of right and wrong, and how that intertwines law and order. That is the stuff that welds us together ethically and philosophically. That is what must span the gaps across religions and regions.

And that, more than Christianity itself, has been what's been under fire... And what is allowing division.

@roamer_1

Good response!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2023, 02:30:13 pm »
@debrawiest

So,you won't vote for ANY candidate,no matter how qualified and competent he or she is,if they aren't a Christian?

I certainly won't.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2023, 02:31:48 pm »

I would never vote for a candidate that I wouldn’t even invite into my house. You wouldn’t invite him into your own house, but strangely,  you want to foist him onto everybody else

@LMAO

Have you no common sense whatsoever?

Or do you just have your head shoved so far up your ass that you will use ANY situation possible to slam Trump.

Jealousy is NEVER pretty,and petty jealousy is the nastiest form of them all.