Author Topic: A US Navy sub arrives in South Korea, a day after North’s missile test  (Read 108 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A US Navy sub arrives in South Korea, a day after North’s missile test
By Hyung-Jin Kim and Kim Tong-Hyung, Associated Press
 Jun 16, 02:47 PM

SEOUL, South Korea — The United States deployed the cruise missile submarine Michigan, capable of carrying about 150 Tomahawk missiles, to South Korea on Friday, a day after North Korea resumed missile tests in protest of the U.S.-South Korean live-fire drills.

The Ohio-class submarine’s arrival in South Korea, the first of its kind in six years, is part of a recent bilateral agreement to enhance “regular visibility” of U.S. strategic assets to the Korean Peninsula in response to North Korea’s advancing nuclear program, according to South Korean officials.

The Michigan arrived at the southeastern port city of Busan, they said, but didn’t comment on how long it would stay in South Korean waters.

The Tomahawk missiles have a range of about 2,500 kilometers (1,550 miles) and the boat is capable of launching special forces missions, according to the South Korean statement.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/06/16/a-us-navy-sub-arrives-in-south-korea-a-day-after-norths-missile-test/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson